I can't decide-10 weeks old

nuthatched

Orneriness & Co.
Premium Feather Member
Nov 9, 2019
God's Country, Az
This Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock chick has me undecided.
Very pink and pronounced wattles, not so much comb but it's still there.
I'd normally say cockerel BUT as I learned with my Dark Brahma, with this color pattern, the males are black and white and the females have the lacing.
At 10 weeks, if the chick is a cockerel, shouldn't black chest feathers be coming in?
Chick in question is in the front. Not too much more pronounced than the others but still, I though two of my confirmed pullets were cockerels for a while.
20220818_145904(0).jpg
20220818_145907.jpg

That was the question, thank you. I'm a little disappointed, I wanted a spr cockerel but neglected to order one when I had to reorder. (McMurray, order was cancelled for bird flu)
They are just the same as dark Brahmas. Males would show black breast feathers, or at least splotchy coloring, by 10 weeks. Not the even coloring of those two pullets.

They're not a common variety so I don't know how you could get a cockerel unless there is a breeder nearby. You could check Craigslist or on your state thread on BYC.

They are just the same as dark Brahmas. Males would show black breast feathers, or at least splotchy coloring, by 10 weeks. Not the even coloring of those two pullets.

They're not a common variety so I don't know how you could get a cockerel unless there is a breeder nearby. You could check Craigslist or on your state thread on BYC.
I found one person on Craigslist had some but it was the areas' "sketchy chicken breeder". My brahma didn't get splotchy until about 13 weeks, but that's likely just the nature of brahmas being slow growing. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom