I cant decide where to put the ventilation in my new coop! Any advice

cuatro loco pollos

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 16, 2009
Hello! We are finishing up construction of our new coop and need to put in the ventilation. We live in Albuquerque where temperatures vary quite a bit. Winter lows are in the teens. Humidity also varies currently is 63%. Summer highs are in the 90s. I built the coop without plans and am starting to regret it. The height of the coop is roughly 3 foot on the back side and 4 foot on the front. I put a roost about 1 foot off the ground. i imagine when they perch on the 1 foot high roost that there isn't much room left above them for ventilation. I imagine that they would be practically looking out the ventilation!

I could use the other two sides (one faces run/one is outside door) because they have a side that reaches the higher wall.

Do full length vents all around if possible. They can be long skinny affairs. Then do a full width window where they roost that can be opened and another window on at least two other walls that can be opened. Sliding plexiglass will do it as long as a good hardware cloth mesh screen is over all openings for security. That includes for the vents too. In warm weather windows should always remain open, while some closing can be done in cooler weather IF you have the proper ventilation. I would think 2 or 3" tall by full length would do it. If roof is framed for it, can be concealed in overhanging (soffit) part of it.
wink.png

Yup, I'd put vents all around the tops of the walls, and on the coldest winter nights you may want to shut down all but the ones on the wall *opposite* the roost, hopefully that's the wall that faces into the run which will give additional protection to the vent. (Wow, it really gets that cold in Albuquerque? I've only ever been there in August and man, it sure wasn't in the teens *then* LOL)

You may find yourself wanting to cut larger (hardwarecloth-screened) openings in some walls for summertime ventilation next year, too, with the cut-out panels bolting back on for wintertime.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom