I can't even get an interview... NEW TWIST Post #107 !!!!

If you applied at Wal-Mart in the last month or two you will have to wait just before the summer to see if they will call you back. They were already conducting interviews for spring hiring last time I applied (a month ago), so those people probably applied late last year. I just graduated from college and am looking for a job, too. It gets tiring filling out so many applications and writing different versions of a cover letter. I have an interview this Wednesday, with the city, but it's for part-time summer work. It won't be enough for me to save much this year, but I'll take what decent job I could get for experience. If I don't get a job soon, I'm going to volunteer..

I agree with a previous poster. You may want to undersell yourself a little. Seems counterintuitive in a tough market, but I would definitely consider it for a lower level position. Also, maybe take ANY kind of work just to prove you can show up and are able bodied, like cleaning bathrooms for Parks and Rec or something... Even minimum wage. Having recent or current employment is GOLD when you are applying.

I just read the first page, and I will tell you what my manager likes when he interviews.......
When the prospective job-hunter calls back or sends an email thanking him for the interview THAT SAME DAY

Hires a lot of people that way

Do you have a hospital nearby you can volunteer at?

They always need Admitting Reps and volunteering will get you in the door. I did that when I was 20 with no experience after taking a Vocational Class in medical claims processing. Did it again in 1993 when my local hospital was going through reorganization (got rid of middle management) and hiring freeze.

Last time I wanted to get back on at the hospital, I was 49 and it took me 3 months and most jobs you had to apply online. I too always dropped off a thank you card the next morning.

Good luck to you.

I am in a similar position. I worked for the government most of my adult life and they're cutting back big time. I have had hardly any interviews even though I've been applying and been available for all types of hours. However, I did find some temporary and part time work from time to time. And, my former employer reinstated me and gave me a couple days of work, so far. So, I can technically say that I am still working for that employer even though they have barely given me any work during the last year.

I have signed up for one temp agency and they just don't have any work. I plan to sign up for more, but I want to be careful about doing so, especially since I've already signed up for one and get hours from my former job. I've done the volunteer thing and, so far, it hasn't gotten me anywhere.

I would gladly call and Thank anyone for an interview, IF I could even get an interview.
th.gif

I have tailored my resume' to reflect the jobs I am seeking. I have had a Human Resources Manager critique my resume' , I just don't know what else to do.
idunno.gif

I think it's the economy. I just keep trying and making as many job contacts as I can, every week.

The problem is that most UI offices want you to make at least 2 or 3 contacts a week and some states require you to list them on their claim forms in detail! But, if you can't find work to apply for or new job contacts to be made every week, that can be a problem. I see the same job openings over and over with nothing new.

Last edited:
I am a strong proponent of working for yourself. Lately I have been finding myself bartering more and more for services that I need.

I can't allow myself to focus on the status of the economy, and I have forced myself to scale back a lot (it is amazing how simple life gets when you do that).

Also, there is nothing wrong with a glance to heaven, and asking God to give you some insight and help with new opportunities. God is there listening, and opportunities are there to be had.

I hope that this doesn't come off as preachy, but as something to bring hope to you. It has worked for me for the last 15 years (when I dropped out of the "workforce", and pursued a more scaled back and simplistic life).

Back
Top Bottom