I can't find unmedicated feed what do I do?

harleyjo

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2010
SW Iowa
I want to switch my Cornish X chicks over to unmedicated feed for the last 30 days and I can't find it what do I do? A guy at one of the feed stores sold us a bag of Layena and said that would fatten them up but when we read on that when we got home it said no chicks under 18 weeks should be on that. So for now we are keeping them on the medicated chick crumbles.

my feed stores (Tractor Supply, Orschelns) both have gamebird feed. You can take the game bird 24% and mix with a lower chicken feed, to get to a 20% safe feed that is unmedicated.

However, both also had Dumor unmedicated 20% starter/grower feed as well.

Lastly, go to maps.google.com , type your zip code, and type feed store - I found 10 (here in central Indiana) that all had multiple bags of feed options that were not medicated. Price range was $10-15 per 50lb bags of 22-24% starter/grower non-medicated.

Quote:
I feed mine a mixture of layer feed and distiller's grain to increase the protein. Or you can also add soy bean meal or fish pellets to raise the protein content. Layer feed is usually 16%, the label should say. Don't worry about too much calcium in the layer feed, you're going to butcher them long before that could become a problem. My roosters all eat layer feed right along with the hens, and it's never been a problem at all, anyway, even with the ones that I keep long-term as breeders.

Thank-you we went to the feed store and got some soybean meal and we had them figure up on a 50# bag how much we would need with the Layer feed. So we will be adding 16# pounds of the soy bean meal to each bag of layer meal and that will be about 23% protein.

Back
Top Bottom