I can't give them away! What to do with so many roos??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hooterville, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I know I should be able to butcher these guys, but I've been through that before and I just can't do it.

I live in the Mid Ohio Valley and have been advertising for the last 3 weeks to find new homes for my extra roosters. This past week I offered them for free and no calls came in.

I have more than a dozen roos that need a new home with several being purebred--Americauna, RIR and Black Copper Marans.

Do you have any suggestions for other ways to re-home these birds?

TIA!
    Becky

2. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    did you put ad for them here?

3. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    post some pics,

4. Quillgirl

Quillgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    Metro Atlanta
    Don't butcher them yourself. Take them to a "processor" to be butchered and give the final product to a local food pantry that can distribute to needy families. (We have some processors that do this with deer meat and turkeys and quail.) You'll know their lives had purpose, and you won't be eating your birds yourself.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Man I would totally take the copper maran and a amaracauna roo! No one ever lives close to me [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Oh I don't envy you. It's hard to get rid of them for many reasons. I would think someone would want your BCM roo though. Good luck [​IMG]

7. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Have you tried craigslist?

8. missfitch

missfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Marysville Ohio
    send me a pic, I'm pm-ing you

9. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Is there a poultry association in your state? Have you called your county extension agent? Have you considered a local 4-H club? Future Farmers of America? A state park or museum that features pioneer or farm demonstrations? A women's or juvenile prison? (A prison here has cows and cornfields -- why not chickens.)

Do you have photos of them? Have you posted ads on bulletin boards at the local library, grocery store, laundry-mat?

I am guessing a home can be found for these spectacular breeding specimens.

Jenny

10. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

You all are the best! I have tried Craig's list, but it isn't very active in my area. Most people use the Bulletin Board (local free ad paper).

In the past I haven't had any trouble at all--maybe it has something to do with the economy.

I will get some current pics tonight and post tomorrow. These purebred guys are what I would consider show quality. I think I will contact the local 4 H and see if I can find a home for these purebreds.

The RIR, Black Copper and Americaunas are all just gorgeous--I just have way too many! The mixed breeds that hatched in my laying coop are amazing me with their growth. They all have outgrown their parents and are just 4-5 months old.

Anyway, thanks for the great ideas and I will post pics tomorrow.

Becky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by