I can't seem to ever hatch anything.

You need to tie up that dog or it may end up eating your chicks. I agree with other poster, put a tarp or cardboard or something around that hutch on a few sides to mimic a nestbox. Hens do like a semidark area to lay and brood eggs. It makes them feel more secure.

You need to tie up that dog or it may end up eating your chicks. I agree with other poster, put a tarp or cardboard or something around that hutch on a few sides to mimic a nestbox. Hens do like a semidark area to lay and brood eggs. It makes them feel more secure.

My sister is coming to get her dog this weekend. I'm getting tired of it. His breath also smells like rotten eggs
1f637.png
. It's just like a nestbox. She is doing a lot better. Is broodyness contagious? Her sister is now sitting and wont let me get close!

Last edited:
I use covered kitty litter boxes for nest. Also have some old lockers. Use asil cross hens for incubating and have the best luck with them vs. incubators. I'll keep them in the cage that is usually a 4' square with some kind of cover for rain protection. Black plastic works good. Keep them fresh water and feed them daily. I build them out of 2 × 4 welded wire and keep the hen and chicks in it for 4 to 5 weeks.

She took the move nicely I suppose. Should have chicks this week! Are the eggs supposed to ne cold before she gets back. She has a hutch in the ru, i lock her up at night and let her out in the morning. When I get home the eggs are cold and I dont kbow how long sges been off. I candled and saw movement, so i guess she knows what shes doing?

When they get close to haching will you sell veins that arent as visible as they once were?

She took the move nicely I suppose. Should have chicks this week! Are the eggs supposed to ne cold before she gets back. She has a hutch in the ru, i lock her up at night and let her out in the morning. When I get home the eggs are cold and I dont kbow how long sges been off. I candled and saw movement, so i guess she knows what shes doing?

Well, hens are known to get off the nest to eat, drink, and do their business. I wouldn't think she would let the eggs get very cold though. If you can see movement, I guess they are ok. Seeing veins are part of development, but I would think close to hatch time the egg would be darker inside and harder to see things like veins. Are they white eggs? I don't have much experience with white eggs. My eggs are colored and about all I ever can see is a large dark area and light through the air sack. That's how I know something is in there.

I know it was alive! I was just wondering if it was getting ready to pip since the veins coloring lightened up. They are brown, and some of the veins look like the have clots on the end of them.

Well, hens are known to get off the nest to eat, drink, and do their business. I wouldn't think she would let the eggs get very cold though. If you can see movement, I guess they are ok. Seeing veins are part of development, but I would think close to hatch time the egg would be darker inside and harder to see things like veins. Are they white eggs? I don't have much experience with white eggs. My eggs are colored and about all I ever can see is a large dark area and light through the air sack. That's how I know something is in there.

Back
Top Bottom