1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Caponized! ***Graphic Pics*** Not For Faint of Heart.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Statix653, Mar 26, 2011.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    [​IMG] great job!!! I might have to try this this Spring!!! Im going to be watching this thread all the time!!

would you say you could suture the openings if we wanted too?
    what age will you process them?
    did I read correctly they eat like CX do now that they are altered?

thank you!!!

2. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    i would think it would hurt alot more doing it to a adult
    Quote:

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    You could only cut once, but you would have a higher chance of cutting the vein, you would also need to remove the lower one first so the blood from the one on top wouldn't get in the way.

I don't think you suppose to caponize roos over a certain age, don't remember why or what age, have to look that up again.... [​IMG]

4. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    For 39.95 you too can have joy of cutting the cahones out of a cockerel!
    Caponizing kit

5. Jared77

Jared77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Howell, MI
    a dab of super glue would close the incision site easier than suturing. As the skin heals the glue will just fall off. Very easy and highly effective. Biggest thing is not gluing your fingers to the bird [​IMG]

6. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    The straw tool is interesting. Is there a twist to it, like a figure eight with the staple in one loop or it's just one big continuous loop with the one staple?

7. Statix653

Statix653 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    Just a loop, no figure 8. It works by putting the loop over the testicle and pulling back on the line, closing the loop into the straw. It grabs the testicle and pulls it off.

The point of doing this is to remove the testicles before testosterone has any say in how the bird matures, so doing it to an adult will only make him sterile, not juicy.

Instead of buying a kit for 40 bucks, I built my own buying the pieces from E-bay and creating the remover with the straw and fishing line. I have $16(including shipping) into the kit and even have extra pieces that weren't needed.

Anyone that would like the info on the tools that I bought is welcome to PM me to find out what I got and where I got them from.

8. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    What pound test mono was that?

9. Statix653

Statix653 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2011
    Quote:35 lb

10. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Oh my gosh. Great pictures but I'm not sure I could do this... wow.... cool though....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by