I caught a hawk in action eating my chicken

NewHobbyForMe

Songster
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
Missouri
Is there anything to do to keep hawks away from my girls. We went to dinner and came back 1/2 hour before dark I notice the chickens had gone in to roost hmmmm I thought kinda of early but went to close the door for the night and found a pile of black feathers, I walked around the back side of their chicken house and the hawk was eating one of the girls. I can't believe I had to scream at it stop it and get it to fly away. It had already killed her and ate the meat completely off her neck. I'm sure they are protected, but it really was upsetting to see how bold they are. Any suggestions are appreciated.
sad.png

this keeps hawks coons. ALL predators away from my birds
68414_100_0758.jpg

and he is still just my little pup. 18 month old newfoundland x lab

A secure run is your only option. I stay outside with mine,but that doesn't stop the hawk from dive bombing them repeatidly. I have bird netting on our run to slow the hawk down.

Don't really know if it stopped them but I took a couple of 2x4's and built a cross
and put some of my old throwaway clothes on it ,, set it in a post hole out behind the
chicken yards I dug several holes in different places and move it every day or two ,
havn't had any problems sence I put it out ,, still see the hawks fly over and around
but they don't attack . put it up with one side of the 'arm' boards short so the end
of the sleeve will hang down and move in the breeze .

So sorry to hear about you losing a chicken (too). A hawk snagged my very special bantam Old English today as well.
hit.gif
All I found were the feathers. darn hawks were back later scoping out for more chickens to grab.
rant.gif

I did build an enclosure with fishing line zigzagging across the top. It has worked to keep the hawks out. However, my lil hen (Chocolate Chip) was an escape artist and could get OUT...which is why the hawk got her. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=411937 go down the page a little and you'll see the pics I put on showing my enclosure. Hope it helps for the future chickens.

it might sound crazy but if you go and buy a Owl decoy from a sporting goods store or a hardware store might have one TSC,bass pro or the like put it out around the coop on a post something tall enough to look natural and move it around every so often hawks only enemy is a owl for all other predators possums coons foxs one of these will work

I also had a hawks attack my flock yesterday. Mortally wounded one which I had to put down. And injured 2 others.

From what I have researched today, they say that keeping them in a secured run is best but that to me defeats the purpose of having chickens. The only other thing they say to do is keep them locked up for awhile. If the hawks have no source of food, they will eventually move on and you can let them back out. But you might have to do that every year or when they come around.

I am also looking into getting an owl to put on my fence posts. Maybe that will help.

Sorry for your loss also.

Back
Top Bottom