I challenge any crocheter to work this...

Jen4

Songster
11 Years
Sep 7, 2008
Munfordville, KY
Yours turns out. I need to know if I did something wrong, or is this just a messed up pattern? I check my gauge and its right. I measured my head and its 22" and this cap is wayyyyyyyy to big, it does not hug your head
hmm.png

Crochet head-hugger cap

crochet hook: 5.5 mm (US 1-9)
Yarn needle

To fit 22-23" head

Gauge: 11 double crochet = 4"; 7 rows = 4" in double crochet. Check your Gauge. Use any size hook to obtain the specified gauge.

Finished Circumference 21"

HAT

Chain 4, join with st to from ring.

ROUND 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc throughout), work, 11 dc into ring, st to first dc to join - 12 dc.

ROUND 2: Ch 3, dc in same st, 2 dc in each dc around, st to first dc to join - 24 dc.

ROUND 3: Ch 3, 2dc in next dc, *dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc; repeat from*, st to first dc to join - 36 dc.

ROUND 4: Ch 3, 2 dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, *dc in next 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc; repeat from *, st to first dc to join - 48 dc.

ROUND 5: Ch 3, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in next dc, *dc in next 5 dc, 2 dc in next dc; repeat from * st to first dc to join - 56 dc.

RNDS 6-14: Ch 3, dc in each dc around, st to first dc to join.
Fasten off.

FINISHING:
Weave in ends

* Sounds easy... but mine sure didnt turn out the way I was thinking it would!

Doing the math......

(56 / 11) x 4 = 20
( 56 total stitches divided by 11 stitches times 4 inches (guage) equals 20+ inches)

......it should work.

Checking math......
The gauge works out to be 2.75 stitches per inch. Divide 56 total stitches by 2.75 and it equals 20.36 inches....

...... which should stretch to fit on your 22 inch head.

idunno.gif

Aw cripes, now Im gonna have to try it.

Please , please, please make one... its driving me crazy! This big purple bowl is wayyy to big for any of our heads, my husband just tried it on and this is what we did...
lau.gif

I'm going to try it again to see if I did something wrong...............

Last edited:
Okay, in spite of a few interruptions, Im now on row 6 so I'll know in a few more rows how the size is, but I may not get to finish it until after I come back from dinner.

eggchel - ok, good. If you can could you post a pic of your when your done.

saddina - my gauge is right... I think I know where I MESSED UP... I did something wrong.

I made another cap and its alot better than the 1st one. But I want it tighter, I may have messed up on it too.. so tomorrow I'm going to try again and again and again until I get this right. Its such an easy pattern and it makes me
he.gif
that I'm doing something wrong.

I'm sorry pattern its not you.... its me
hugs.gif
lau.gif

Hi, I finished mine and it measures 20 inches at the opening. That would stretch to the 22-23 inch head size easily.

Count how many stitches you have per row in rows 6-14.

If you have more than 56 stitches then you have too many.

If the number of stitches increases in each row then most likely you are adding an extra stitch just before joining the end of each round.

If the number of stitches is consistent in rows 6-14, then most likely you made an error in the increases somewhere in rows 1-5.
My guess would be row 4.

3_100_5999.jpg

3_100_5996.jpg

Awwww yours looks pretty! Thank you so much for doing this for me
big_smile.png
I think on my 1st hat the 4th row got me... cause on my 2nd hat I caught myself messing up on that roll. I've messed up somewhere on the 2nd hat too. I'll keep working at it til I get it right.

eggchel

Ok... this morning I got up and and undone my 2nd hat and started over, I was adding to rolls 6-14... I see how thats easy to do. So I counted every stitch and was very careful not to add... I've counted and counted to make sure everything is right... my gauge is right and everything but I'm still coming out alittle big, mine measures 22 inches at the opening, so something is still wrong... do you think it could by my hook? I'm going to do another one and use a smaller hook to see what happens.
fl.gif

Thanks again for all you help!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom