I cheated!!!

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
yep and I dont feel bad about it.

After being turned away by my usual processor because all of NY state has fined the processors for doing other peoples birds, I had to process my 14 Rangers yesterday.

well I just could not do it, or more importantly did not want to. They were so personable much more so than the cornish x I raised last year. I did my best just to feed them, no heavy petting, or much affection. they free ranged all day and had a great life but I did not want to be the one to cull them.

So I had a friend send a butcher who used to process all the time in Mexico. I set up a wonderful area with my cones I bought from a byc member and a scalder and the rest. It actually all looked quiet professional
smile.png
and he came last night after work at 7:30, by 10:30 all 14 were in freezer camp and really look nice. He was very impressed with the quality of the meat so of course I sent him home with one. Normally I pay $2 a bird but with this being a different circumstance I paid him $5 a bird. Not very cost effective but I felt like since the meaties free ranged mostly that I saved that much in feed alone as I use organic at $28 a bag.

I did have to resist the urge of recuing the last one as it looked so sad just waiting in the cage, but I went inside and had a glass of wine instead. That being said he was very gental and did it as quickly and painlessly as possible.

I could have and would have done it myself but I really did not want to and never would have gotten them all done in 3 hours.

So now my freezer and belly will be full and my heart not as heavy as it could have been.

I

I don't have any meaties as of right now, just some roos that will go to camp. It's so hard not to get attached to the little suckers though. but way to go on thinking of an alternative and helping someone else out with a little extra cash for 3 hours work! eat well, live well

actually someone of craigs list ordered them and wanted to know if anyone joined in. I think they came from Mt Healthy

Back
Top Bottom