I collected my first quail today!

Toadstool

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2021
Bristol, England
I picked up my first quail today. Hoping they settle in well 🤞🏻

I went with a 5:1 ratio.

They have been having a great time in the sand bath and so far are very sweet and a couple of them even come to me when I talk to them.
I’m hoping with a few tasty treats they will become comfortable with me.

I’m going on a mission to find some legal treats tomorrow in the form of live mealworms and some nice seeds.
I’m also setting up a little outdoor kitchen so they can have fresh veg and fruit treats straight from the garden. I didn’t realise how strict the law is in regards to kitchen scraps until I did my research but I’m feeling pretty clued up now. I’m sure I will still make a few blunders.

5A950C6C-C552-4D40-A910-EE0EB52D2392.jpeg
873E365C-8A99-49AA-A593-5E6E07A40CC5.jpeg
63CC3919-7A81-471B-B5FF-EC7CCB75060C.jpeg
FE815F5A-ECA1-4F65-B2FC-304726C73366.jpeg

I picked up my first quail today. Hoping they settle in well 🤞🏻

I went with a 5:1 ratio.

They have been having a great time in the sand bath and so far are very sweet and a couple of them even come to me when I talk to them.
I’m hoping with a few tasty treats they will become comfortable with me.

I’m going on a mission to find some legal treats tomorrow in the form of live mealworms and some nice seeds.
I’m also setting up a little outdoor kitchen so they can have fresh veg and fruit treats straight from the garden. I didn’t realise how strict the law is in regards to kitchen scraps until I did my research but I’m feeling pretty clued up now. I’m sure I will still make a few blunders.

View attachment 2657203View attachment 2657209View attachment 2657208View attachment 2657210
:pop whats a illegal treat for a quail ?

scrambled egg made out of freshly collected bald eagle eggs? Cocaine?
I read a guide saying meat should never be fed to quails. Ah it's all too confusing, I need more laws to tell me what I am allowed to feed :lol:
But they are omnivores :pop (hecate got my burger once by accident) (anubis stole a tiny strip of jerky once)

:pop whats a illegal treat for a quail ?
We aren’t permitted to feed any animal that lays eggs or enters the food chain for meat or dairy products any dried mealworms. This is due to the traceability of how and what they were reared on. Dried mealworms in the UK are imported and are often fed animal parts in some cases human faeces 🤢
What kind of rules do they have about table scraps? Just curious.
Table scraps aren’t permitted. Due to the risk of cross contamination with meat or animal products.
We also can’t feed them back eggshells or scrambled egg.
They are pretty strict about it and it has a hefty fine if you get caught out.
It’s all down to the outbreaks of swine flu, foot & mouth and the increased risk of salmonella.

I’m just playing it safe.

Back
Top Bottom