I completely dislike these new LG's I got!!

I have 3 LG's and they seem to be a pain to get at the right temp but when you get it at the right temp DONT TOUCH IT. I dont have any problems after I get it at the right temp. Although sometimes it will rise or drop a degree but that is the only problem I have with them. I bought one with a fan and the temp holds alot better then the 2 still airs.

Wow Glenda, that took some time to read.

I'm glad I took Miss Prissy's advice and got a plug and play hovabator.

Wow. Although I do like my forced air picture window hovabators (I love watching the little ones hatching), I like my LG's to incubate hand turned chicken eggs. I got mine for free and they had been used before, but only once. During the winter time, or when it is below 60 in my room (which is rare) I will wrap the back of the LG (leaving the large vent holes open) in a small blanket. The first time I plugged mine up, it took me about 6 hours to get them stabalized. I've never had a temp spike, or a dip. They vary by 1 degree daily. During the day they are at 100 degrees, and at night they are at 99. Mine are forced air though, so that may help stabalize them a little quicker.

The only thing I don't like about mine is that it is hard to keep the humidity high enough to incubate duck eggs in them.

Now I have two still air hovabators, and I'm still getting used to needing to run them at 101-102 degrees!

I haven't officially turned any of my incubators off yet this year, but I have washed and cleaned them between incubations/hatches. I've never had a problem with getting any of them to stabalize.

My only advice, let them run, and don't fiddle with them too much. If you're changing the temp more than once every three hours and you're not accustomed to the little knob, you could be changing it too much without knowing it. I also keep all of my vents open during incubation and hatching. Don't know if that makes a difference or not, but it's worth a try!

Emily in NC

I'm having the same problem here with a borrowed LG. My Hova Bator when on the fritz and while I'm waiting on my replacement thermostat, I've been using an LG. I, like you, hate, hate, hate this LG too! The temp. swings are so annoying. Hopefully I'll get my replacement part to my Hova by mid-week and get these eggs switched over.

Quote:
You need to learn to use the LG properly. Once you do this you will have more high hatch rate hatches than most other bators. If you follow my steps to setting one up, you should enjoy the LG. I am now on day 9 of a bet with two people on who can get the best hatch rate. They are both using cabinet bators, one being a sportsman, Friday they candled their eggs and throw out some eggs. They don't realize it, but that cost them the bet. I can say the eggs the throw away were good. Out of the 36 eggs in the LG, I will hatch at least 32. This I do with every hatch. A 80% hatch in the LG is a bad hatch rate. Could be because I have been hatching eggs for over 50 years. It take a realaxed calm person to hatch eggs. Get your bator set up properly and the chicks will come. Run out and buy a new bator and put the eggs in and you will have dead chicks if they make it that far. And then you blame the bator. No it is the operator. Buy a new stove and bake a cake in it. If you don't level the stove the cake won't come out right. Same thing with a bator, it needs to be set up right. I have all these people hating the LG's and saying they are going to put them in the trash. I say done do that, send them to me. In most cases Iwill even pay the postage. Not ONCE has anyone ever taken me up on this. Don't knock the equipment when it is the operator.

Some folks do not want to give away their LG
wink.png
Heck, they will try selling them first to get some of the money back. That is why they dont take up on your offer. I sure dont even I do have a LG bator here that a friend of mine swap the LG parts for the Hovabator parts on a LG syrofoam body. It works perfectly.

I've had TWO LG bators that I let it on a dry and wet run for a month just to figure out if it was me or just the bators. 100 percent were on the bators. It was pretty wronky and even with a new themo, it still is wonky. I put the bators in the room that had very stable temps. And I sold both of them cheaply too!

Maybe you just got lucky that you had a bator or two that performed well. And it all depends on the eggs that were incubated, were they picked up at the farm or shipped, it can be a factor as well.

Thank you, I've given the LG a chance too many times than I care to waste. And it was 23 years ago when I started incubating too! Go figure! I am still learning about incubating as well.

What I've found is not to touch the temp adjustment, just tap your finger around it on the styrofoam until the light comes on and then walk away. This is after I've opened the lid, closed it , and don't see the light come on like it should.

I purchased an LG still air bator and it holds a temp very well for me. I am on my first hatch and I am pleased with it. The knob is very sensitive but once I got the right temp, I have rarely had to mess with it. It does change between 100*-101* and once or twice on a cold night it did drop to 98-99*, but I don't think that a huge temp drop. The only problem I have is keeping the humidity at a steady number...but I don't think its because of the bator. I think outside and inside factors have something to do with the temp & humidity. I don't expect to throw eggs in my bator and just let it go and let the bator do everything else. I do add water and occasionally a wet sponge. My humidity stays between 30%-40% where I want it. I have never had another bator so I'm not sure if they are any better than the LG. I just know that I think it is working well for me and for the price...I think I got a deal! I hope I don't run into problems like alot of you say you have.....knock on wood!
fl.gif

I looked up some information on the LG incubator and was dumb founded that one would spend $135.00 on two incubators and already have two incubators
when one can purchase a larger incubator from a well known comp[any

those LG's are not supposed to last very long
most folks say 1 or 2 hatches out of them/
even a hovabator is better.

Did you ever get them to work?

Back
Top Bottom