i cracked open the first egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rosyposyosy, Aug 24, 2007.

1. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    sorry, i was going to save it, but instead i fed it to my parrot (it was too small for me) the shell was harder than the commercial eggs (which shocked me since its a PULLET egg) i cracked it open and there was a DARK ORANGE YUMMY (i didnt eat it but it looked it) YOLK! i mixed (well, trieD) it with some other eggs for my parrot (Pedro) and the commercials were a light yellow, and i mixed them with ease since their yolks were so runny. i saw the dark orange yolk go around and around, i watched me stab it with a fork, and it still didnt break (good girl fajita!!) i then finally picked it up and smooshed it with my fingers. i hope pedro liked it [​IMG] and let the yummy eggs begin!!

2. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I was surprised at how difficult it was to stir up my girls' eggs. They're a lot firmer than the commercials! And soo pretty!

3. rosyposyosy

Jul 11, 2007
    i know! i thought people were just convincing them selves that these eggs were better, just to justify "I NEED MORE CHICKENS!" lol!

4. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    This much I will testify to... my home grown eggs make much better pies, cakes, cookies,but especially meringue. I can taste a definite difference cooking with them.

5. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    Quote:Wonderful news! I love baking and I was wondering about this. My family and I are definite food lovers and we enjoy making great food from great ingredients! Thanks!

6. mom23chicklets

mom23chicklets Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2007
    CT
    Okay, that's it! When I get home I'm cracking open 2 of my first 3 eggs (saving the very first!) with the entire family to ooooh and aaaah. And then I'll probably scramble it and we will each have a tiny bite. I'll report back on if there's a taste difference.

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:I used to be such a failure when it came to meringue...mine would never stiffen up before I had chickens. Now my Mom wants to know what I "put in my meringue" to make it stiffen up! [​IMG] Fresh eggs definitely are far better. [​IMG]

8. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you know that you can NOT make a meringue in a plastic bowl the oil from the bowl will stop it from stiffening......that explained sooo much .........

9. rosyposyosy

Jul 11, 2007
    yep! same with angel food cake

10. islandchick

islandchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Oak Island, NC
    I am a chiropractor and I have been showing all of my patients the picture of our first egg (scrambled cuz my kid wanted it that way) next to our grocery store "ORGANIC" egg. Hmmmm, makes you really think about our food supply doesn't it!?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by