I.D. My chickens please?

Colorado Chick

Songster
5 Years
Sep 27, 2014
I am brand new to chickens, and i before purchasing chickens, i researched Buff Orpingtons. I chose them because they are great for small yards. So i went to the feed store and ordered them. I posted pictures a few days ago in another post and a member asked me for sure if they were Buffs. Then another member mentioned that they be red star/red sex links. Based on pictures that i have seen on the net, i think they may be right. But i wanted to run it past you all to make double sure. Who would have thought that owning three chickens would be such a learning curve!!!!!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your new flock! X2 It actually looks like you have some sort of Red Sex Link (they go by various names depending on the breeder/hatchery, Red Star, Golden Comet, ISA Brown etc)... they are a wonderful cross bred to produce a whole lot of big brown eggs.

Those look like my Ginger and she is a Red Sex Link. I was told she was an Easter Eger, not! But, she is a great chicken!

Ha ha, that didnt take long! Thank you for the help and the welcomes. Now i will research the breed thoroughly and hopefully they are neighbor friendly!!!!! that and tomorrow the feed store is going to get a call.......:)
I have to laugh about these girls, the largest one is called henny penny, and she is such a busy body. I was in their enclosed are working on their new gate, she hopped from the coop top, to the top of the loose gate i was holding up! she hopped up ther and thoroughly inspected it for a few minutes, let me take some pictures of her, then she let me get back to work. Silly girl :)

LOL just realized your username is Colorado Chick! That is my GFM name!!!!!
big_smile.png

i just realized that this and all of my other posts were placed under the new member introductions. Sorry forum monitors- didnt mean to do that! :) im glad they are known to be good egg producers, i eat alot of eggs!!!! thanks everyone!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You definitely have Red Sex Link hens and they are egg laying machines. You will get loads of large, brown eggs from those ladies. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your RSLs.

Back
Top Bottom