I Did a Thing...

So I do have some questions for you Call lovers out there. I've always wanted them, but these are my first, although I've had several breeds of ducks in the past.

1. I'm housing them currently in a large, wire breeding cage. Is that acceptable? I'd wanted them on the ground in a 10x20 dog run that is covered, but after seeing how teeny tiny they are in person, I just couldn't imagine them sharing the pen with my quad of Chocolate English Orpingtons.
Feel, I've no idea. Maybe Isaac would know he has calls. The wire just doesn't seem like it would be very comfortable.

They are often kept on wire, and due to their light-weight they don't tend to develop leg problems easily, but over time you may be dealing with arthritis, or pododermatitis if they're being housed on it for extended periods of time. Looking at it from a welfare perspective, I believe they would rather be housed on grass or other soft bedding.

2. The previous owner was feeding them hen scratch and occasionally offering them gamebird feed. I gave them a tiny dish of scratch so they'd have something familiar but they have a mix of Layer Pellets and Crumble in a feeder, along with grit and oyster shell in separate dishes.
I realized how short they were so there are some bricks to get in and out of their 'pool' and nest boxes. Those are not in the photos as I added them afterward.

Call ducks do well on either a feed formulated for all poultry such as All flock feed, or Purina flock raiser, or a feed formulated specifically for waterfowl such as Mazuri.

3. They are under a year old and should start laying soon. When do your calls usually start laying? I am in Northeast Texas.

Calls start laying in the spring, into early summer, then tend to stop after that. They are not known for their eggs, so only expect about twenty-five/thirty each per bird.

4. I've heard they are hard to hatch. Give me all your tips and tricks. It'll break my heart if they are fertile and their little eggs don't hatch.

I hatch mine at 35% for the first twenty-three days, then up it to around 70% during lockdown. Especially with show-quality calls, they have a hard time pipping out of the shell due to their short beak so you often have to candle quite often during lockdown to track their progress. After the internal pip, if they don't make an external pip after twelve hours, I make a safety hole and guide them out as needed afterward.

5. I've always heard that Calls need to be clipped/pinioned, or housed in a covered pen. I see pictures though where they are clearly out and about enjoying the grass and what not. How do you all keep yours?

Feel free to disclose any other important information I might need to know. :)

I have never trimmed any of my Calls wings, and they have always stuck near their coop.

1612479223799.png
1612479073838.png

They are often kept on wire, and due to their light-weight they don't tend to develop leg problems easily, but over time you may be dealing with arthritis, or pododermatitis if they're being housed on it for extended periods of time. Looking at it from a welfare perspective, I believe they would rather be housed on grass or other soft bedding.
I agree and ideally would prefer they be in the ground. They were very much an impulse buy because I couldn't pass them up for that price. I will eventually have them on the ground, but I'm glad to see that no harm will come to them from being on the wire for a short time.
Call ducks do well on either a feed formulated for all poultry such as All flock feed, or Purina flock raiser, or a feed formulated specifically for waterfowl such as Mazuri.
Good to know. I'm in the process of getting feeds worked out for everyone so I'll be sure to get them the good stuff they need.
Calls start laying in the spring, into early summer, then tend to stop after that. They are not known for their eggs, so only expect about twenty-five/thirty each per bird.
I assumed that would be about right. Thank you for the information on total eggs laid for the year. I knew they wouldn't lay as well as a larger duck but it's good to know the limited amount.
I hatch mine at 35% for the first twenty-three days, then up it to around 70% during lockdown. Especially with show-quality calls, they have a hard time pipping out of the shell due to their short beak so you often have to candle quite often during lockdown to track their progress. After the internal pip, if they don't make an external pip after twelve hours, I make a safety hole and guide them out as needed afterward.
I've read about the process of the safety hole, but I'll be sure to do a lot more research on assisting Call ducklings before incubating anything.
I have never trimmed any of my Calls wings, and they have always stuck near their coop.
That's good to know. I had a friend with a trio and she let them out and hers didn't fly away, but something did carry them off. It will be a long time before I feel comfortable letting them out to chase bugs and whatnot, but it is comforting to know they aren't going to fly 100 yards through the woods to the neighbors ponds or anything.

Also new photos for mutation ID will have to wait until the weekend. I had a circus rounding up birds last night when I got home from work. Apparently a Pomeranian gander has learned to walk wire fences and caused pandemonium all day while I was at work.

Back
Top Bottom