I Did a Thing...

So I do have some questions for you Call lovers out there. I've always wanted them, but these are my first, although I've had several breeds of ducks in the past.

1. I'm housing them currently in a large, wire breeding cage. Is that acceptable? I'd wanted them on the ground in a 10x20 dog run that is covered, but after seeing how teeny tiny they are in person, I just couldn't imagine them sharing the pen with my quad of Chocolate English Orpingtons.

2. The previous owner was feeding them hen scratch and occasionally offering them gamebird feed. I gave them a tiny dish of scratch so they'd have something familiar but they have a mix of Layer Pellets and Crumble in a feeder, along with grit and oyster shell in separate dishes.

I realized how short they were so there are some bricks to get in and out of their 'pool' and nest boxes. Those are not in the photos as I added them afterward.

3. They are under a year old and should start laying soon. When do your calls usually start laying? I am in Northeast Texas.

4. I've heard they are hard to hatch. Give me all your tips and tricks. It'll break my heart if they are fertile and their little eggs don't hatch.

5. I've always heard that Calls need to be clipped/pinioned, or housed in a covered pen. I see pictures though where they are clearly out and about enjoying the grass and what not. How do you all keep yours?

Feel free to disclose any other important information I might need to know. :)

Congrats! I think you might have Pastel, not Butter. The reason I say that is the lack of eye stripes in the females, and the brown chest on the drake - in butters the brown coloration wanders down the underside, with Pastels there is a strict cut-off.

Either way, they are gorgeous.
Thank you! Honestly I'm not sure on the mutation. The seller said they were Butterscotch in the Craigslist ad. He was selling them to focus on racing pigeons! :sick I'll try to get some better pictures where an ID can be made more definitively. I honestly couldn't believe I scored the trio for $100 and that they looked so good. Like short proper beaks and generally appear well-bred. They are also very gentle and calm. I literally just ushered them into the dog kennel for the ride home. The hens are a little skittish but I have every intention of spoiling them rotten with little yummies so they like me. 😁

So I do have some questions for you Call lovers out there. I've always wanted them, but these are my first, although I've had several breeds of ducks in the past.

1. I'm housing them currently in a large, wire breeding cage. Is that acceptable? I'd wanted them on the ground in a 10x20 dog run that is covered, but after seeing how teeny tiny they are in person, I just couldn't imagine them sharing the pen with my quad of Chocolate English Orpingtons.
I feel like that wire bottom cage might cause foot problems like bumblefoot unless you cover it with straw or hay

I feel like that wire bottom cage might cause foot problems like bumblefoot unless you cover it with straw or hay
Feel or know? I never usually keep ducks on wire, but calls are light, the gauge on that is heavy, and I've seen photos pf breeding setups on here with Calls on wire. Of course now that I'm trying to search the thread I can't find it, but I know I have screenshots saved on my phone because I loved the set up.

Feel or know? I never usually keep ducks on wire, but calls are light, the gauge on that is heavy, and I've seen photos pf breeding setups on here with Calls on wire. Of course now that I'm trying to search the thread I can't find it, but I know I have screenshots saved on my phone because I loved the set up.
I have also never had calls, but I would -feel- hesitant to put any animal on wire. I understand the logic of calls being lighter, but even mice suffer from bumblefoot and veterinarians recommend not keeping them on wire.

Maybe it is fine and recommended for call ducks. I tend to coddle my pets. Obviously you should do whatever you feel good about.

Back
Top Bottom