1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I did an OOPS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ladyomaha, Dec 15, 2011.

1. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    I was candling my Egg, and Dumb A$$ me dropped it and it cracked, So is the chick gonna die now, Or can I try to put it back in the bator and see if it hatches? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    How bad is the crack & what day is it on?

3. ladyomaha

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    I dont think it broke the membrane, and I am on day 15, Less than a week to go. But its a BIG crack.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Cover the crack carefully with melted wax, and there is a chance that it will continue to develop. Monitor closely for signs of decomposition.

5. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Quote:x2
    Melt birthday candles or an unscented candle and quickly dip the side of the egg with the crack.
    You can also use duct tape, if you wish.

Good luck

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  6. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    Ive used wax to fix cracks. I get it to melt then put it on my finger till it starts to harden and is cooled off then I smear it on the egg. It has worked half the time.

7. ladyomaha

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    Thanks for the Idea, I did see some Bright Red Blood veins still in the Egg, so I am hoping its still alive.... I have Never done this before, so mad at myself!!

8. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:If it is a small crack and no fluid is seeping out, put a little glue or some of that liquid skin bandaid stuff over the crack and put it back in the bator. They are a little hardier than one would think in that egg and may be just fine. Someone here had one that looked completely cratered and it hatched out for 'em.

9. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Quote:It happens. Don't worry about it.
    Last year I was taking a broody off of the nest to eat/drink.. As soon as I picked her
    up I heard a "SPLAT!". Realized she had an egg underneath her wing, when I picked
    her up it fell 3 feet to the hard ground. Chick was around day 12-ish. It's sad, but it
    happens. [​IMG]

10. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i use elmers glue! lol wax has alwas melted on me while in the bator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by