I did it ...I did it!

Cetawin

Rest in Peace 1963-2021
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
I called Meyer hatchery this morning and ordered. The ladies there were so great and helpful last week that I went with Meyer. So, my hatch date is July 21st and babies should arrive on July 23rd.
wee.gif

I wanted 4 Salmon Faverolles but they had 5 pullets available for that hatch date and I could not stand the thought of leaving just one all alone sooooooo I ordered all 5. hehehehehe I ordered:

5 Salmon Faverolles
3 Ameraucanas
2 RIRs
4 Golden Buffs (a sex-link)
1 GLW
1 Blue Cochin
1 Red Cochin
1 Dominique
1 BO
1 BA
1 Partridge Rock

21 new babies will be coming. Hopefully everyone will arrive happy and healthy.
fl.gif
The sweet lady Laura said they have shipping down to a science and have summer boxes and winter boxes, so chicks will be comfy. They are also shipping by Express Mail.

Where is the waiting support group?
pop.gif

Those people at Meyer are great folks. I have stopped out there many times just to look and see what they have in their store. I ordered 4 leghorn pullets and when I got there they couldn't find the order. They promised that I didn't make the drive in vein so I left with 4 free white leghorns. Can't beat that. John

Last edited:
OMG you are right there near them? I would be sooooooooo doomed. hahahaha

I am very impressed with the ladies there and the way they answer your questions, take their time with helping you and getting you all lined up so that you get all the chicks that you want to order on one hatch date. I had to sacrifice getting my delawares on that hatch date to get my Faverolles but that is okay..Delaware next year!

How do they know that they will have exactly 5 of a certain breed and sex in 2 months? It seems like it would vary greatly by how many eggs were ready, how many hatched, and how many of each sex hatched.

I believe it is based on a percentage of the eggs incubating and being laid. It is a way to keep from short changing customers and selling more than they have.

The chicks sell so quickly that any additional ones be snatched up quickly I would assume.

My son in law ordered 4 bo females and 4 ba females a month a go and on his ship date the hatchery called and said they didn't have enough of one breed and offered to ship what they had and reship the next week. I found that to be strange with such a small order. I don't know what is going on with chick ordering but there is a shortage around here. We are having to wait up to 6 weeks for a shipment.
He chose to wait another week so all would be the same age. John

I got a ten day turn around from Meyer- between order and receipt -just ten days. Gorgeous birds. My only issue is that I got 4X the # of Polish that I ordered. I guess Polish were part of my Rainbow Pullet Pack. I'll just have to start a Chicken Circus(!) Otherwise, I really have liked Meyer.

I've heard there's a resurgence in backyard farmers. I think I maybe one
cool.png
All the places that usually have chicks here can't keep them in. And I have seen so many places that can't fill till July~
I too would be out of $ and sanity if I lived by a hatchery Oh yea and probably divorced!!!
th.gif

Quote:
I am sure it is hard to get an exact count on how many pullets and how many roos will hatch on July 21st or July 28th, I am shocked that they get it as close as they do.

More people are going back to self sufficiency methods including keeping chickens in the backyard.
clap.gif

I checked out a couple of hatcheries, Ideal just says not available and Mc Murry is male only till the end of June. Yes there are some breeds you can get but the everyday chick you have to wait for. (except males) With a shortage of available chickens the price increase will surely follow. Now I am glad I received mine in February. John

Back
Top Bottom