I did it, I hatched quail!

I’m so excited! I didn’t think they would hatch as it’s my first time hatching in an incubator, but so far there are 3 of them.

I’m a little worried about them, however, as it’s only day 16 and they’re Corurnix quail..

Any advice for me?
Sometimes eggs hatch a little sooner in an incubator if the temperature is a bit too warm. If they are fully developed you needn't worry. Be sure waterers are shallow so the chicks don't get wet or drown. Feed should be nonmedicated and be fine particles. What are you going to use for feed? And to keep them warm?

Sometimes eggs hatch a little sooner in an incubator if the temperature is a bit too warm. If they are fully developed you needn't worry. Be sure waterers are shallow so the chicks don't get wet or drown. Feed should be nonmedicated and be fine particles. What are you going to use for feed? And to keep them warm?

Thank you! I don’t mean to be a broken record, as I’ve read all of the quail hatching and brooding threads, I’m just so nervous for my first time.

I have a 20 gallon tank already set up for them to go into once they’re all hatched and dry, I’m using a heating lamp and a thermometer to make sure it’s warm.

My biggest concern is that I’m using Manna Pro Gamebird/Showbird feed, which is only 24% protein. It’s all I could get at the moment. I bought some mealworms to try to supplement the protein, but I’m afraid to feed newborn quail that. Plus, I can’t find a small enough source of grit.

You can always grind it up in a coffee grinder. Throw a couple mealworms in there too so it's all small enough for them to eat. I get my chick powder by sifting the food I feed my older birds (I feed them all game bird feed). It reduces waste because the older birds won't eat the powder and the chicks can't eat the crumble at first.

You can always grind it up in a coffee grinder. Throw a couple mealworms in there too so it's all small enough for them to eat. I get my chick powder by sifting the food I feed my older birds (I feed them all game bird feed). It reduces waste because the older birds won't eat the powder and the chicks can't eat the crumble at first.

Should I include some grit in there, since they’ll be eating mealworms?

Great advice!

Thank you! I don’t mean to be a broken record, as I’ve read all of the quail hatching and brooding threads, I’m just so nervous for my first time.

I have a 20 gallon tank already set up for them to go into once they’re all hatched and dry, I’m using a heating lamp and a thermometer to make sure it’s warm.

My biggest concern is that I’m using Manna Pro Gamebird/Showbird feed, which is only 24% protein. It’s all I could get at the moment. I bought some mealworms to try to supplement the protein, but I’m afraid to feed newborn quail that. Plus, I can’t find a small enough source of grit.
Is it the manna pro gamebird starter or regular feed? If it's the starter, thats what I had my chicks on and they all turned out healthy. Congrats on the babies! <3

Back
Top Bottom