I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rainstorm

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Lake Placid FLorida
Finally finished my new quail pen!!! I made it, (asides from the fact I didnt cut the boards because im not allowed to use powertools)
Im gonna add a roost in their soon (Quails do roost dont they?) and im using a small wooden rabbit box for them to go in right now, gonna make a small teepee type of them for them later and I dont know what else I should add!! I got 9 quails that big enough for all of em? those are the quails I got from tht auction I posted a thread about, out of 33 only 10 made it
sad.png
(2 are living with my cousin, and the 9th is a bobwhite I got recently)

Anything else I should add? Anyone know how to tell the sexes of quails? (Texas A&M mostly)

32404_101_1396.jpg

32404_101_1395.jpg

big_smile.png

Quail don't need roosts, they are ground dwellers (that kind anyway). You should put something on the floor that is solid so they can get off the wire if they need to.
A&Ms have to be vent sexed, you can check out the sticky in the quail forum for pics on what you should see.
How big is the cage? Quail only need about 1 sq. ft. per bird. You could have done without all the head room, they only need about 12"
smile.png

You also have 2 browns and a golden, those you can sex by their color. If the feathers on their breasts are solid rust or blonde they are males, if they are rust or blonde with black specks on them they are female.
You'll need something for them to dust bathe in, like a cat litter box filled with sand. They'll probably lay eggs in their dust pan too. They don't need any nests, and they probably won't use any shelter you put in there, you'll have to cover the cage if they are outside.
What size wire is that on the bottom? If it is less than 1/2" their poo probably won't go through very easily. Even with 1/2" it has difficulty.
And be careful with the door on the top, when they get spooked they fly UP!
smile.png

Quote:
ok! and about the door the only one that would fly up would be the bobwhite quail, all the others are extremly calm, None of em was scared of my cat when they were in my room and they all like me lol one of them will fly up on me when I open their pen

There's a bobwhite in there? I have some young coturnix that are in a rabbit hutch (mink cage?) that opens on the top. I get to chase one around the yard at least twice a week. I don't think I scare them, they just get excited. But they are easy to catch.

Bobwhite are the worst!!
can
Don't get me wrong, I love mine. As soon as they get their feathers they fly all over the dang place!!! Just as bad a guineas!! Well, not as noisy, lol.

Bobwhite really don't "perch". They do like to have a little platform or shelf up high to sit on. I think their fat butts make them bottom heavy and not suited to perch with their little feet.

Back
Top Bottom