I did it!

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
I took my 8 week old chick out from the pen with hen and roo. Hen is due to hatch out eggs in about 9 days! I moved one of my smaller black silkie chicks with the 8 week old chick.The black chick is about the same age. I watched noone picked on each other i made sure everyone was eating and drinking before I left. They even was standing aganist each other when I left! I am wanting to add all 6 of my chicks into the same cage together so I am thinking of adding a chick each week till all six are in the same cage and everyone is doing great. I was worried about moving the 8 week old chick from hen and roo because he seemed so attached but everything went fine! I am so happy!
big_smile.png

Congrats..I'm glad it went well for you.
clap.gif
It's always a tough call on when the timing is just right and great when it works out.

Jody

Not that I have done this, but I would think you would want to have two equal amounts then add them together. If you just add one at a time then you end up with a last chick. Unless you add the last 2 at the same time
idunno.gif
. Good luck!
Krista

I had 16 weeks , 9 weeks and 6 weeks old chicks and when I thought the time was rigt I joined all of them together at once. Since there was only 5 of the oldest ones I figured there was strength in numbers so they all went together. I think it worked out very well and it has now been over 2 weeks and all is well. I really think it helped the smallest ones adjust better with the 9 weeks in with them. Trudy

well i have decided of the 6 to keep the smaller 3 together and the 3 bigger chicks together i noticed the bigger chicks pick on the smaller ones. so iv decided to split the cage right down the middle i will be putting them in 3 on one side and 3 on the other its good mu coop has 2 seperate sides worked out great for me. I turned a rabbit coop into a chicken coop..lol!!!!

I added the last smaller chick today. That leaves 3 smaller together and 3 bigger together. When i added the other small chick my silkie chick i removed from hen and roo kicked his butt. Then everything was over and everyone is fine now..LOL..I guess he was showing who was boss! Im guess with the 3 smaller chicks 1 roo and 2 hens with the 3 bigger im also guessing 2 hens and 1 roo so we will see!

Back
Top Bottom