I didn't know I needed to put the thermostat in. HELP PLEASE

ginbart

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Bloomsburg, PA
My Hova-Bator came today and I needed to put the thermostat in. I read the directions and put it in ok but it said turn adjusting screw counterclockwise until light comes on and then 4 additional turns. The light came on when I plugged it in so do I keep turning it until the light goes off again and then turn it again until it comes on?
barnie.gif

And it's not attached to anything but the adjusting screw, what makes it come on?

Thank you for your help. I'm going to leave it plugged in until I hear from someone on here we are doing eggs on Saturday.

No, turn it the opposite direction until the light goes off and then follow the instructions as stated.

I assume it's a wafer thermostat. It expands and contracts with the temperature. As it is heated it expands until it contacts a microswitch which shuts of the heat. It then cools and contracts, releasing the microswitch and turning the heat back on. Turning it clockwise moves it closer to microswitch and lowers the temperature at which it switches. Turning it counter-clockwise moves it further away from the microswitch and raises the temperature at which it switches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you I knew I would get someone that understands that stuff. I did what you said and I have the temp at 98. It's just sitting on the egg rack for now so I'm hoping when I put the eggs in it will be right. Thanks again.
clap.gif
clap.gif

If your temp is at 98 you'll want to verify with several thermometers and then adjust it to 100 before adding eggs. Give the screw a turn or two counter clockwise to get temp up to 100, verify with several thermometers. Thermostats and thermometers can be out of whack by several degrees. If two thermo equal that is most likely the actual temp otherwise take the average temp as true value.

I have 2 in there now. I'm going to check them again when I put the eggs in because isn't the top of the egg suppose to be 99.5? I can put the one on top of the eggs the other one I need to set on the side. I'm not to happy with this screw thing. I'm hoping my GC don't touch it when they come up. I only have to worry about one, she's two. I put the bator in an extra bedroon so if I close the door I don't think she can open the door.

Thanks for your help.

I use a couple of aquarium thermometers and a digital thermometer/hygrometer. That way I am sure of the heat. As far as my grandkids they now the incubator is off limits. The babies are sleeping.

Quote:
Two of them now say 100 so I think I'm good. Thanks for all your help. The eggs were put in the bator by my GD yesterday I couldn't be here I had to watch the GS wrestle. It seams like she did ok. Now the wait

Back
Top Bottom