1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I didn't think ahead...how to fix this?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Debs55, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

So my coop is almost finished and I've decided I should use sand and sweet PDZ in the coop. Problem is i've heard you should have atleast 3 inches of it but I feel like it will all fall out the doors and stuff because the only thing around the bottom is a 2x4 so there is only a 1.5 inch lip to keep the sand in. Now I can put boards around everything else but what about the pop doors? If I add a board it will make them alot smaller and they are only 12x12 right now. What should I do? or would it be ok just to not put anything up infront of the pop doors?

2. Chookydeb

Chookydeb Out Of The Brooder

i can offer any advice but thanks for pointing that out! i'm in mid construction and i hadnt thought of that [​IMG]

3. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I also forgot a lip with my popdoor. I use pine shavings though, but I doubt it makes a lot of difference for your question. What I have experienced is that they kick bedding out into the run, but it is not excessive and it doesn't bother me. I wouldn't make the opening much smaller as I have large hens (brahmas and australorps are the largest. I should also mention that the popdoor in my case is under a roof so the kicked out bedding doesn't get wet.

So while I initially could kick myself for forgetting, this has actually not turned out so bad. YMMV with sand. Have no experience with it.

4. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    You could "frame" the floor 6-8 inches away from the pop door. This would keep sand away from the door and not reduce the size of the opening.
    I use sand and PDZ. Only have 1 1/2", no problem. The birds don't scratch around unless I'm late letting them out.

5. Debs55

ok thanks yall! I might trying the "framing" thing. Like making a kind of "step" infront of it to keep the sand away from it..hmm that might work :)

6. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    What is PDz?

7. Debs55

Sweet PDZ is a horse stall refresher. It is in a powdered form and is meant to keep the coop (or run) dry and smell free :)

8. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Ooh! Nice!! Thank you, where can this be bought??

9. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i'm using the deep litter method. at the human door i have a 1x4 that sits just inside the door on it's edge held up on each side by a 'bracket' for lack of a better word. that 1x can be lifted out for cleaning or whatever & keeps the litter from falling out of the coop. it was added after the coop was finished. at the pop door, i didn't think about the litter. i use a broom to brush the litter in or out of the way to close the door. at this point it isn't a problem - maybe later i will need to come up w/a solution for the pop door.

10. Debs55

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by