I didn't think Cornish X's would forage...

max13077

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2008
Fingerlakes Upstate, NY
Somewhere I read all Cornish X's did was sit and wait for you to feed them. They wouldn't forage like traditional birds would. Today I noticed one of them in the tractor chasing after a fly. So I let them out. They're going all over pecking, eating grass, scratching the dirt... I guess I was wrong...
hmm.png
Had anybody else heard this?

They don't forage as efficiently as other breeds but they certainly do scratch and forage and have a grand time of it.

The batch that we just finished butchering today loved to eat grass and bugs. I have one that I call "Naughty Chicken" that I kept because he just endeared himself to me and he didn't get butchered. He free ranges all day long from about 7:00am to 7:30PM. He is given no commercial feed until he goes back into the coop and then most of the time he doesn't eat it but paces the fence and wants back outside, he is every bit as big as the ones we just butchered but he loves to run around a lot. He appears to be very healthy.

I was also told they wouldn't forage, but they love to be out in the grass eating bugs and taking dirt baths. My husband is worried we will have tough drumsticks.
wink.png

Well shoot, I'm happy as... "a cornish X at the feed trough!"
lol.png
I let them out this morning. They were running all over, pecking this pecking that, and having a grass salad for breakfast. They love it!!
smile.png

I have Cornish X's in tractors right now. When I move them to fresh grass, they are so anxious to get the new grass they start eating the grass as soon as new grass shows up under their feet.

Last edited:
I wondered how much mine foraged in their pasture pen. I don't have a percentage of daily intake, but I do know that of the five random gizzard samples (of 40 birds), all of them had grass inside.

Back
Top Bottom