I didn't think Cornish X's would forage...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by max13077, Sep 3, 2011.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Somewhere I read all Cornish X's did was sit and wait for you to feed them. They wouldn't forage like traditional birds would. Today I noticed one of them in the tractor chasing after a fly. So I let them out. They're going all over pecking, eating grass, scratching the dirt... I guess I was wrong... [​IMG] Had anybody else heard this?

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    They don't forage as efficiently as other breeds but they certainly do scratch and forage and have a grand time of it.

3. WishboneDawn

WishboneDawn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    You'll read ALL kinds of things about Cornish X's and in my experience a lot of it is out to lunch. We free ranged ours and they ran, foraged and stayed healthy.

4. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    The batch that we just finished butchering today loved to eat grass and bugs. I have one that I call "Naughty Chicken" that I kept because he just endeared himself to me and he didn't get butchered. He free ranges all day long from about 7:00am to 7:30PM. He is given no commercial feed until he goes back into the coop and then most of the time he doesn't eat it but paces the fence and wants back outside, he is every bit as big as the ones we just butchered but he loves to run around a lot. He appears to be very healthy.

5. toomanypeeps

toomanypeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    I was also told they wouldn't forage, but they love to be out in the grass eating bugs and taking dirt baths. My husband is worried we will have tough drumsticks.[​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Mine did forage. They did the same thing as the other chickens. No difference.

7. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well shoot, I'm happy as... "a cornish X at the feed trough!" [​IMG] I let them out this morning. They were running all over, pecking this pecking that, and having a grass salad for breakfast. They love it!! [​IMG]

8. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    I have Cornish X's in tractors right now. When I move them to fresh grass, they are so anxious to get the new grass they start eating the grass as soon as new grass shows up under their feet.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  9. WishboneDawn

WishboneDawn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote:Nope. Ours had husband-approved drumsticks. [​IMG] Very tasty.

10. Bluff Country Chicken

Bluff Country Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    SE MN
    I wondered how much mine foraged in their pasture pen. I don't have a percentage of daily intake, but I do know that of the five random gizzard samples (of 40 birds), all of them had grass inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by