1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I do wish my polish cockerel would....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Aug 30, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    man up and take charge of his hens. It would even be okay if he crowed more than once a day - once a day is it, first thing when I let them out. Yeah his crow is horrible, sounds like a cross between a dying moose and a cat fixin' to urp up a hairball, but I won't stew him just because he has a horrible crow.

He does need to take charge of his hens though. You'd think he'd get tired of daily butt whoopin's. Just now I saw him going at it with my SF hen. He wasn't bothering her, she's just cranky cuz she's molting. She ripped some of his crest feathers out.

Ever had a rooster that didn't man up? He's over four months old now. Even my brahma roos were in charge by that age.

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    [​IMG] yea I had a EE RIR cross who never manned up. Lived bald for most of his life. [​IMG]

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    I would give him a little more time. mine had 2 pounds on each hen but didn't man up until he was about 6 or 7 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by