I don’t know what I should do 😞

This is not a Silkie cockerel/rooster but a mix.

If you want to breed pure Silkies, this one has to go.

How old are the other three?
Really? That’s cool I always thought he looked different! I don’t mind at all about breeding. What breeds do you think he is?

Really? That’s cool I always thought he looked different! I don’t mind at all about breeding. What breeds do you think he is?
As I know nothing about his parent stock it would just be guessing.

Can you upload pictures of your other three Silkies and your setup for us?

How much space do they have to get away from his unwanted hormonal attention/attacks?
Do they have some clutter in their coop and run to at least be able get out of sight?

I know I just wanted to see if I could some how keep him
Yes, there is a way. To keep him, he has to be kept separate in his own pen. Or, you have to rehome the other cockerel.

You see, male chickens do NOT get along with each other, unless (only sometimes) they are living in a pen where there are no female chickens within their sight. Most often, people who keep multiple roosters have either: A large flock in which the balance of roos to hens is about 1:10 +/-. OR, they keep the roosters each in their own little pen or cage.

At 17 weeks, his hormones are just beginning to flow. His brain is now programmed to try to mate with as many hens as possible, while keeping all other males away; and to protect, manage, and provide for the flock. You cannot train this out of him, nor get him back to the sweet, cuddly chick he used to be. He pecked your leg because he sees you as either a hen he should discipline and mate with, or as another rooster whom he needs to drive away. I'm very sorry, but this is the reality of keeping a rooster.

OK. He's at an age where some become little devils. This one's pretty serious about it. Put him with grown hens. Not pullets. They should nip his annoying habits in the bud. Or keep him separate. As for the human aggression, that's up to you. Obviously if you're doing a breeding program, he isn't a good choice at all, physically or behaviorally. If you have small kids, don't keep him. Otherwise it's up to you if you want a male like this. I'm sorry but it might be his time to go

@Farmgirl283420 , how do you imagine you'd like to interact with your silkies? To enjoy their company, cuddle with them sometimes, watch their antics, and at the end of the day to remember how much fun it is to have them around?

How do you imagine that chickens think of an ideal day? Happily scratching around for grain and bugs, stretching in the sunshine, having a nice dust bath, chatting with their friends, crowing and singing his heart out?

Now, compare that to what you have now, and think about the health and happiness of your chickens, and your own children if you have any. Take your own emotions out of the equation, and think about what BEST can be done to restore safety and harmony for everyone.

I know that's why you posted here, looking for solutions because you aren't happy with the current situation, and neither are your silkies. Unfortunately, unlike human children, chickens can't be reasoned with and retrained. You can only manage their environment, but their behaviors are instinctual. Once a bully, always a bully.

IMHO, the troublemaker needs to go.

OK. He's at an age where some become little devils. This one's pretty serious about it. Put him with grown hens. Not pullets. They should nip his annoying habits in the bud. Or keep him separate. As for the human aggression, that's up to you. Obviously if you're doing a breeding program, he isn't a good choice at all, physically or behaviorally. If you have small kids, don't keep him. Otherwise it's up to you if you want a male like this. I'm sorry but it might be his time to go
My big hens already have two cocks who lewy has made enemies with I guess you’re right he might have to go. I’ll sure miss him but I don’t really have another choice :(

The darling you had, is not the bird you have now. And there is no going back.
I guess your right but I keep thinking of this little chick who was so determined to cuddle with me all the time 😞
31779BAE-CDA2-4B8D-A2CD-263528262F0E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom