1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I dont have chickens for eggs anymore

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by paramedic07, May 23, 2011.

1. paramedic07

paramedic07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Bergman, AR
    I dont have chickens for just eggs anymore. I just noticed this tonight. i had to cut ourselves off from anymore hatching or buying new chicks starting today. For now.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have no mercy.
    [​IMG]

Fuzzy butts galore.

Hatch some!!! [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I hear ya. Started with 7, now have 36. I have a million ways I can justify it though: Gotta have extra hens for winter when eggs aren't as plentiful, extra roosters not staying, had a broody so had to hatch, etc. [​IMG]

I'm now immune to the look of shock on the person's face that asks how many chickens I have.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. paramedic07

paramedic07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Bergman, AR
    i already have 9 guinea eggs with 23 days to go in the incubator right now. maybe a few EE/BR - polish rooster cross eggs in there at day 7 for the guinea eggs and a dozen japanese bantams egg im receiving Wensday or so.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  6. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:I realized this of myself last week. Right now I have 2 or my 3 bantam hens with 1 chick each, plus my mini roo (which makes 6), plus our 7 laying hens (1 of whom is sitting on 1 egg), and my silkie and big roos (so another 9), plus our extra rooster that I've been trying to rehome, bringing my grand chicken total up to 16, which isn't so bad. Of course, I have ordered chicks, which may have gotten a bit out of hand because right now I have on order 6 standard cochins, 6 Ameraucanas, 8 Brabanters, 2 Old English Game Bantams, 5 Polish, and 4 Silkies. I may change/cancel some of those orders (Ideal is oversold on Polish, and the Silkies are supposed to come with them, so I may just cancel that one), and I do plan to rehome some as I only wish to keep a few from each breed. Still, that's a lot of chickies coming!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by