I don't know how to get my chickens to like me

Raycallahan

Hatching
May 10, 2022
I don't really know which thread to post this in, I'm new to this website, but basically the only chickens I've ever had I've hatched and raised to adulthood, so they have never been scared of me.

I got 6 Australorp hens and 2 roosters, from a local, they just reached adulthood. And all they do is stay in a corner, I free-range and they don't even come out of their coop.

I just want advice on how to get them to like me more, idk if I should leave them alone or stay with them.

My best advice is don’t start forcing them to be held and patted. Sit outside, talk to them, feed them, you can pat them when they go to bed. It’ll take time, and there is a chance they may never want to be pat or held and you need to respect them, but it is always worth trying to create a bond with them. I have chickens that never want to be pet or held, but they still like me coming outside and sitting with them and talking to them.

Anytime I’ve gotten adult chickens, I spend a lot of time outside anyway, monitoring progress of he flock. Because I check on the new birds frequently, there pretty used to me in about two weeks. I like to just continue to feed them from a distance, talk to them, and NOT a pick them up or pet them yet. You can bring little treats, follow them if they’re let outside the coop, or just watch the, like I do. If they learn to associate your prescience as a calm, helpful human who feeds them, they should quickly war, up to you.

Now some chickens re just friendlier than other. I’ve had hens who follow me, sit on my lap, and let me hold them just fine, others won’t 🤷‍♀️. That’s just how it is. But if you do what I said, none of them should be afraid of you.

Australorps are a mix of orpington, leghorn rhode island red and Plymouth rock. Which means they have a mix of all those temperaments. There is an article o found that suggests the breed is particularly shy and timid at first but will be a friendly flock eventually in time. Also more than 300+ eggs per bird! Holy moly!
I would keep treats (meal worms 🪱 for example) when you visit them. Not during feeding but on a visit out of the blue and let them have a treat. They will get to feeling you're to be trusted and a good friend:)
Also I would look to see if they are scared of surround noises or animals. I once discovered a neighborhood cat tormenting my hens, I had to build a perimeter to keep out the cats. I also live in Alaska so we installed a bear fence after we lost 3 to the black bear.
Good luck! They will love you soon! Oh and I also noticed my hens like to be pet on their chest and not their backs. :)

I don't really know which thread to post this in, I'm new to this website, but basically the only chickens I've ever had I've hatched and raised to adulthood, so they have never been scared of me.

I got 6 Australorp hens and 2 roosters, from a local, they just reached adulthood. And all they do is stay in a corner, I free-range and they don't even come out of their coop.

I just want advice on how to get them to like me more, idk if I should leave them alone or stay with them.
just sit there in the garden doing something like eating but not interacting with your chickens
my rooster was scared of me but since my two hens have gone broody he's alone in the garden so I spend more time with him
he doesn't follow me around but when im eating he's just interested in what im eating and follows me around until he gets a bit of whatever it is

last summer I had two roosters which got eaten by a fox but they were SO attached to me because it was summer and literally the WHOLE day I would sit outside doing homework, eating my breakfast, lounging about with them. I wouldn't bother them and would let them run around without me thumping behind them so they would come to me because they knew I wasn't about to start chasing them to catch them and that I don't want to hurt them. they followed me around everywhere that it became difficult to walk anywhere without them coming.
call your chickens' names and then drop treats out of your hand. if a chicken comes close to you give them treats you normally wouldn't give i.e. if you call your chickens and give them seeds, when they come close to you give them mealworms or a treat which is 'rare'. do not chase your chickens at all or tower over them when you're giving treats, I just crouch down to appear smaller when I give treats. imagine that your a tiger and the chickens a human: if a tiger was chasing you around to catch you in its mouth you would be scared because you think the tigers going to eat you. bad analogy but it helps see things from a chickens perspective.

Back
Top Bottom