I don't know how to go on. Please tell me what you think, my friends. -- NEW INFO AT END OF POST #1

My flock is positive for Marek's antibodies -- What do you think I should do?

• Keep everybody, but only as pets. Give up on the business all together. There is no way to salvage i

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Hatch chicks from the breeder's eggs, and vaccinate every chick. It would be fine to sell the vaccin

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Sell hatching eggs! Marek's isn't transferred through eggs, and it would be fine to sell them.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Try to find homes for the birds --  giving them away as "special needs" birds with full discloser th

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Same as above, but you'd have to move to another house before it would be safe to start over.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Breed for resistance. Eventually you can begin to sell the healthy offspring.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Euthanize everybody now. Even if they seem strong and healthy. Everybody has to go. Period.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • The test is not reliable. Most birds have been exposed to Marek's anyway. The fact that they have Ma

Votes: 14 38.9%

• Total voters
I have Marek's in my flock, plain and simple. But I don't sell birds so I don't have to deal with the ethical part of the equation, and for that I am happy. I am sure that whatever you decide will be the right choice as you seem to be a person with morals.

I just want to make you and everyone else aware that vaccinating a bird does not keep them from getting and passing on the Marek's virus. All the vaccine does is stop (hopefully) the symptoms from appearing. So you can't vaccinate your flock and KNOW that they do not have the disease unless they have never been exposed, the vaccine will keep carrier bird from manifesting symptoms, that is all.

I do vaccinate most of my birds, at least the ones I buy from a hatchery. I wish I could just vaccinate and forget about it. Isn't that simple; I know it could be lurking in the coop just waiting for that one bird that the vaccine didn't work on.

Hatching chicks away from your flock would work as it is spread through feather dander, but I have also read that it can be carried on the wind for miles; which I believe as it entered my flock from somewhere and it wasn't from the breeder and there are no other chickens near me.

Good luck, it is a tough decision. I am sorry you have to deal with this.

I have Marek's in my flock, plain and simple. But I don't sell birds so I don't have to deal with the ethical part of the equation, and for that I am happy. I am sure that whatever you decide will be the right choice as you seem to be a person with morals.

I just want to make you and everyone else aware that vaccinating a bird does not keep them from getting and passing on the Marek's virus. All the vaccine does is stop (hopefully) the symptoms from appearing. So you can't vaccinate your flock and KNOW that they do not have the disease unless they have never been exposed, the vaccine will keep carrier bird from manifesting symptoms, that is all.

I do vaccinate most of my birds, at least the ones I buy from a hatchery. I wish I could just vaccinate and forget about it. Isn't that simple; I know it could be lurking in the coop just waiting for that one bird that the vaccine didn't work on.

Hatching chicks away from your flock would work as it is spread through feather dander, but I have also read that it can be carried on the wind for miles; which I believe as it entered my flock from somewhere and it wasn't from the breeder and there are no other chickens near me.

Good luck, it is a tough decision. I am sorry you have to deal with this.

Yes, Merek's can travel on the wind. My vet said that your chickens can get mareks from wild birds flying through as well as from other poultry in the area. It is also passed from bird to bird by infected darkling beetles and mealworms. Through the chicken's saliva and mostly through their dander that they shake all over their envionment. Such a terrible disease!

Yes, Merek's can travel on the wind. My vet said that your chickens can get mareks from wild birds flying through as well as from other poultry in the area. It is also passed from bird to bird by infected darkling beetles and mealworms. Through the chicken's saliva and mostly through their dander that they shake all over their envionment. Such a terrible disease!
i am at a loss for words, i just couldnt imagine it happening to my flock OMG what would i do?? we cant get the vaccine here in hawaii, but when we ship in we can have chicks vaccinated first... so sorry for your tough decision

Back
Top Bottom