I don't know if my chick is alive or not?

SilkieAustralorpCrossKing

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2021
I am hatching chicken eggs in a Little Giant incubator and todays hatching day but only two out of 8 hatched and one made it half way across the shell but can't make it any further and its not making any sound. Another has a small holeit could probably fit its head through but I don't know if it could come out it is peeping a lot. Are they alive and be able to get out?

When you say day 22... did you count the day you put them into the bator as Day 1 or Day 0?

ETA: This is something I've been trying to track with new hatchers, just for my own curiosity sake when someone is worried about late hatches and when they should assist. Please follow any directions you're being given, as I have no hands on incubator experience.

One of the eggs hatched!:wee

Attachments

• IMG_20210209_180608.jpg
    IMG_20210209_180608.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 0
I am hatching chicken eggs in a Little Giant incubator and todays hatching day but only two out of 8 hatched and one made it half way across the shell but can't make it any further and its not making any sound. Another has a small holeit could probably fit its head through but I don't know if it could come out it is peeping a lot. Are they alive and be able to get out?
Welcome to BYC! What is your humidity currently at, and did you calibrate an additional thermometer before incubation?
You can candle the eggs quickly. Take some pics and post them if you can. :)

Humidity is at 61% and 99.5 degrees. This one pips every minute.View attachment 2522623
if it has been less than 24 hrs since pipping, no, don't open it at all while you have pips. Let it have rest periods between attempts! You must keep humidity up, and be ready to assist - with air sac end only and eggshell only - and have something ready to moisten the membrane. Did you read the Assist Articles already?

And this one makes no sound. Sorry lighting is bad
How long has it been? they do rest between zip attempts...has it been over 4 hours? if you help, do head end only at first...and gently put it back. you risk the life of the other if you open the bator, or cause a bleed too close to the chick on the umbilical end. Please let us know day/hours in each phase - pip or zip - and if u understand what to do. Is day 21 really past? Counting from end of 24 hrs from set time?

Back
Top Bottom