I don't know if my chicken is egg bound??

tanyachicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
My chicken has been a great layer but recently she stopped laying and her tail dropped, she now walks really slowly tail down as if she is in a lot of pain I gave her a warm bath to relax her muscles but nothing happened (although she did enjoy it). On a normal day she will sit in the same spot for about 3 hours, I don't know 100% what is wrong because apparently they pass away within 48 hours untreated but this has been going on 5-6 days.

Does anybody have any ideas what might be wrong as she is a loved family pet!

Thanks!

Yes but not very often
I don't think it is egg bound anymore as she hasn't got an egg stuck but I have noticed a new problem she cant stand up when I put her down after holding her she stands on her toes also she can't get up things like my garden steps

Thanks fogandcopper
1f414.png
1f414.png
1f414.png

My chicken has been a great layer but recently she stopped laying and her tail dropped, she now walks really slowly tail down as if she is in a lot of pain I gave her a warm bath to relax her muscles but nothing happened (although she did enjoy it). On a normal day she will sit in the same spot for about 3 hours, I don't know 100% what is wrong because apparently they pass away within 48 hours untreated but this has been going on 5-6 days.

Does anybody have any ideas what might be wrong as she is a loved family pet!

Thanks!
They do not always die that fast, many linger on for weeks.

• Weigh her daily (see my avatar).
  • Dust for mites and lice
  • Get some gloves, KY Jelly and gently do a cloacal exam,
  • Or take her to a vet.

Last edited:
She seems to be getting lighter for what I can feel
What does this mean

She is also getting severely bullied by my other chickens and is even weaker to defend herself, she fall ove when they peck her even the light ones
1f62a.png
1f625.png

What will happen now do I just wait for her to be able to stand on her feet again.

If she gets better I will need to put her back with the others but this will most likely start the bullying again what should I do??

Thanks for the support
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom