I don't know if Peach is a Hen or a Rooster

Mandamoo

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 19, 2014
Brisbane Australia
Hi Community!

I have this sweet little Australorp chicken named Peach, who is now about 5 months old. I am not sure if she is a he...

In the last few weeks her comb has grown huge and become really vibrant. She has also started to become really vocal - still sounds like clucking and no crowing has happened.

Here are a few photos. I am dreading the possibility that little Peach might be a rooster. Only because if she is a he, we will need to re-home him because of our local council laws
sad.png

These two photos were taken about a month ago:

These two photos were taken on the weekend:

Hopefully she is a hen because we absolutely love her and would be heartbroken to have to give her/him away!
fl.gif

Thanks for any feedback you might have for me!

She is so gorgeous!

I can't be sure, though I really hope it is a hen. Combs begin to brighten on hens around 15 weeks of age, though I'm not sure Australorp hens generally get that big combs. Still, roosters usually show a bright comb at 10 weeks or younger.

Best of luck!
smile.png

if you could post a updated picture including her tail feathers? That would be helpful to be certain of sex. It sounds/looks like a hen... My Black Australorp roosters started showing at 8/9 weeks of age.

My only question is the yellow legs... All my Australorps have solid black legs... ?

Last edited:
Australorps don't have yellow legs or white ear-lobes, though not all breeders breed show quality birds. Black Giants have dark legs as well and no white earlobes. Hamburgs have white ear-lobes but not a single comb.

All the same, she is very beautiful!
smile.png

Thanks Everyone for your comments, she/he is a real little beauty!

Here are some updated photos taken at the weekend. Hopefully your keen eye can see from these if she is a he or not haha.

Going by what I have managed to google (which hasn't been all too helpful to be honest), I think from the size of her comb and how pronounced her tail is, my little Peach might be a little rooster.

What do you think?

I am hoping not, only so we are able to keep her. It's going be be so sad having to re-home her if she turns out to be a rooster.

As for the breed, we were told she was an Australorp so have just gone with that lol. It is likely that she might not be - we had an Australorp hen in the past (Merrweather) and comparing Peach to Merryweather they are quite different. This too is adding to our confusion.

Sorry Winnie & Daisy's fluffy bums are photobombing this one!

Thanks Everyone for your comments, she/he is a real little beauty! Here are some updated photos taken at the weekend. Hopefully your keen eye can see from these if she is a he or not haha. Going by what I have managed to google (which hasn't been all too helpful to be honest), I think from the size of her comb and how pronounced her tail is, my little Peach might be a little rooster. What do you think? I am hoping not, only so we are able to keep her. It's going be be so sad having to re-home her if she turns out to be a rooster. As for the breed, we were told she was an Australorp so have just gone with that lol. It is likely that she might not be - we had an Australorp hen in the past (Merrweather) and comparing Peach to Merryweather they are quite different. This too is adding to our confusion. Sorry Winnie & Daisy's fluffy bums are photobombing this one!
Looks like he/she isn't an Aust. I think they have dark or black legs....mine do...anyway...does she have a white ear? If she does she could be a Black Spanish....you should find out soon enough...if she's a he...she will start practicing her crow...soon...Boy or Girl, she sure is a beauty!

Back
Top Bottom