I don't know what I did wrong...Chick died before hatching

Lroach711

Songster
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Pickens, SC
I had 2 chicks pip on day 19 (yesterday). The first one hatched early this morning and is doing fine. The 2nd pipped the hole bigger than it had been but died before it got out. My humidity was at 60% and the temp was around 101 all day. This is my first hatch and it breaks my heart to see one die like that. I don't know what I did wrong..what makes it worse is it was the one I really wanted to hatch. It was the only one of that breed that made it to lockdown
sad.png

I had 5 eggs that all grew and looked really good on day 18, only 2 survived and hatched. i gave in and opened one today and it was so sad! i tried to tell myself that if i want to be a vet then i should be able to do a baby chicken autopsy but i don;t think i'll ever be able to open one again.
sad.png
i can only say from my experience with baby goats and now the chicks, is that sometimes things happen and it's not our fault, they just weren't meant to be born. it sucks though.
hit.gif

your biggest problem is that they hate being by themselves. you need at least another baby to bond with the one you have...

well my actual hatch day is tomorrow and there's some chirping still coming from the incubator so hopefully the one I have will have a friend very soon. There are 5 eggs left in there waiting to hatch so we'll see.

101 is too hot! High heat and high humidity is a killer of pipping birds. I hatch everything from lockdown to hatch at 98.5 to keep this from happening.

I have been hatching just fine and my temp is between 99.5 - 101.5 in my LG incubator

My humidity is 75 %

So far 16 of 42 have hatched out they started hatching on day 19 today is day 20 .......

At 98 my chicks would never hatch I think it depends on what kind of incubator you are using.

Quote:
Still air is different than a forced air bator. I keep my Dickey's and GQF sportsman bators full now through end of summer at 99.5 and hatch in a GQF hatcher at 70% and 98.5. I hatch almost everything that goes in the hatcher. I almost hatch exclusively my own eggs so I get about babies from about 98% of my eggs.

Back
Top Bottom