I dont know what they are.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jferlisi, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Hi everyone, so we bought our girls from the local feed store and they said they where rhode island reds [​IMG], BUT as it turns out they aren't. My father thinks they are red stars but i dont think they are, i think they are buff orpingtons. If you guys and girls could give me your input on the matter i would really love it. Thanks.

[​IMG]
    i know its not the best image i will try and get new ones up tomorrow but my girls dont like the stand still for the camera. [​IMG]:lau She is the one standing upright. Thats Carmela.

[​IMG]
    They are next to the rake. Thats Claire, Carmela is kinda hiding in in the corner of the pic.

2. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I think you're right - they look like Buff Orpingtons - I'm thinking Carmela (the BO in the first pic) loooks like a cockerel (thick legs, large comb, and overall body shape). The other BO (2nd pic), white leghorn, and easter egger are definitely females.

3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    You are absolutely right..the buff birds are BOs.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    First pic - Buff Orpington on left, Easter Egger on right. Second pic - Either a White Rock or a Leghorn. Buff Orpington in background.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yes the ones in question are Buff Orps and I also agree the one in the first pic is a cockerel.

6. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    LOL see at first i though she was a he cause of the comb and the 3-4 curled tail feathers but then it started to lose those and i was like ok its just maturing faster than the others. HAHA, at what age do they start to grow spurs? So that means i have to change the name from Carmela to Carmel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by