I don't know what to do with my rooster!

I would love him :) just like I love all my roos we spoil them here but they always know we have the upper hand.
Here are 3 of my boys that free range with the girls

Awe! I don't get it. My chickens free range too! WE love our chickens and give them treats and my BR just won't be nice..... I have picked him up and loved on him we give him special treats because he is on the outs because of the (alpha rooster) and he is still nasty, I have a few girls that only want to be with him, they are also BR, my girls are the sweetest things too.... I don't get it.......

Quote:

I don't know what it is or why I haven't seen this behavior in any of the roosters I have owned. Maybe he can sense your a little afraid of his actions and is picking up on this. I really have not experienced the things some people have here on BYC with roosters attacking. I wonder though if some normal rooster behavior can often be misunderstood by some especially if they are new to raising chickens. Chong my BR Rooster he will jump up for treats, and if it looks like we have something good in our hands he will jump up high trying to get it out of our hands. But never appeared to me as aggressive behavior. But that makes me wonder too since you said you offer treats is it possible thats what your rooster could have been doing and he thought someone was bringing in goodies jumped but being you are protective of your child too is it possible that you may have misunderstood his actions? I don't want to defend him either if he truly was being aggressive you don't want that around your human baby at all. Her safety should always be number 1 .

Last edited:
I also have kids, and when a rooster starts getting aggressive, he is gone. My kids are young enough that if a rooster attacks them, it could easily get an eye, and I will not let it go that far. I have had to bump off two roosters for this, but my tollerance level is very low when it comes to aggressive roosters, and my children. In my experiences, it has all been the alph males that acted that way. I love my chickens, but I love my kids more.

I should also note that one of the roosters was a stray that I put in with my hens after my rooster got hit but a truck. The other one was the other day, after my wife told me it was attacking her and the kids. It never attacked me, but did them and my mother-in-law. Please be leary of aggressive roosters, especially with kids, they are not worth a child loosing an eye or something.

I don't know what it is or why I haven't seen this behavior in any of the roosters I have owned. Maybe he can sense your a little afraid of his actions and is picking up on this. I really have not experienced the things some people have here on BYC with roosters attacking. I wonder though if some normal rooster behavior can often be misunderstood by some especially if they are new to raising chickens. Chong my BR Rooster he will jump up for treats, and if it looks like we have something good in our hands he will jump up high trying to get it out of our hands. But never appeared to me as aggressive behavior. But that makes me wonder too since you said you offer treats is it possible thats what your rooster could have been doing and he thought someone was bringing in goodies jumped but being you are protective of your child too is it possible that you may have misunderstood his actions? I don't want to defend him either if he truly was being aggressive you don't want that around your human baby at all. Her safety should always be number 1 .

I wish that was the case. I had given him multiple chances. He was would challenge my husband, he would chase my daughter and when I told her to stay still and not move he would jump up and kick her. He also woud run up behind me and jump up and kick me from behind. Usually I would hear him running up behind me and when I would turn around and say yes I can I help you he would act like he was eating acrons........ There were a couple of time where I didn't hear him running after me and he would use his whole body and jump up and kick me on my thigh it happened several time. I am just thankful that he didn't have his spurs........ He had also jumped up on my daughter a few times it is just the last time he knocked her down...... I had had enough of him......When I would give him treats I would put them on the ground....... I have a hen that likes to jump up for the food before I put them down...... The BR rooster never jumped up for the food the alpha rooster wouldn't allow him close when I had food, I would have to make the BR a special plate away from the alpha........ He has a new home now..........Hopefully he will be happy there.......

I also have kids, and when a rooster starts getting aggressive, he is gone. My kids are young enough that if a rooster attacks them, it could easily get an eye, and I will not let it go that far. I have had to bump off two roosters for this, but my tollerance level is very low when it comes to aggressive roosters, and my children. In my experiences, it has all been the alph males that acted that way. I love my chickens, but I love my kids more.

I should also note that one of the roosters was a stray that I put in with my hens after my rooster got hit but a truck. The other one was the other day, after my wife told me it was attacking her and the kids. It never attacked me, but did them and my mother-in-law. Please be leary of aggressive roosters, especially with kids, they are not worth a child loosing an eye or something.

I agree it isn't worth my children getting hurt....... I gave him enough time to behave.
wink.png

Its just the way it is. Its not your fault that your roo is trying to stalk you.I had this same problem & finally killed my roo. I can't afford for some over grown drumstick jumping on someone. I also have a one year old Grandson & I darn sure don't want him to have a bad experience with the birds. One bad experience for the boy could really harm him for life. I wouldn't want him or anyone to be scared of chickens for the rest of their lives.
Personally, I try to spend time with my animals so they stay tamed & aren't wild. I have another friend that raises cattle & he does the same with his cows. Its nice to be around farm livestock that are calm & acknowledge that humans are not a threat to them. Its neat when you have 20 something chickens following you everywhere you go. But there's always one bad apple you either cull or rehome him are her.

Last edited:
An Idea. . . I am new to chickens but here is what popped into my head. . . Do the holding of him atleast a minute a day(I have read a bunch of times that this works, and it has def worked on my roo to get him where he knows he doesnt need to challenge us), possible to blunt the tip of his beak?(if its not already a trimmed beak), and do the potato on the spur trick to remove that bad boy so it doesnt do any damage to anyone. This is what I think i would try with my Roo if he ever decided to step up to the plate and challenge somebody or go after me, my wife, or either of my daughters(they are 6, and 5). My roo doesnt challenge my dog either since he has been around him since he was 2 months old and the dog doesnt go after him.

We had two roosters that would jump on people. Both were purchased at the same time from Tractor supply. The fox got the one and the other one finally stopped after a couple of tune-ups.

I have broken several aggressive roosters All it takes is a 5 gallon bucket of water ..you just grab the rooster and dip him in head first a few times...if that dont work after the 2nd time dunking him he becomes fried chicken. It works about 75% of the time

Back
Top Bottom