I don't know what to do!

outside

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2015
Somewhere over the rainbow
The past two days, one of my hens has been standing in the back corner of my run and won't walk around. She's kinda hunched down and looks uncomfortable. This morning, she had a long strand of droppings and straw hanging from her vent. We pulled it and a whole bunch of it was clogging her up. We think this is the problem, but she still is standing by herself looking in pain. She ate and drank a little, but still the same. I'm worried for her. Does anyone know what might
be wrong with her????

How does her crop feel? I would be tempted to give her 1/2 teaspoonful of castor oil orally, or a molasses or epsom salt flush in case she has a large mass of straw inside. Does she get grit every day to help her digest her feed? I would also check inside her vent with one finger an inch or so to feel for an egg stuck (use a rubber glove.)

Quote: We sprinkle sand in the run every couple of days and we did check her vent and there was no egg in her. I will check her crop. Do you said castor oil, molasses, or Epsom salts orally?

Back
Top Bottom