I don't know what to do!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JimSmurfy, Mar 22, 2017.

1. JimSmurfy

JimSmurfy New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    My silkie chick is about 8 weeks old. We put her in with my older chickens which are 9 months old and had to separate them because they kept attacking the little silkie. She walks outside fine and eats and drink outside fine, but once I bring her inside she walks backwards, falls over, and won't eat and drink. Please help!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I hope the links redsoxs has provided will help you find some answers.

Best of luck to you!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    A young chick dumped in with older birds is certainly going to be attacked. Luckily, they didn't kill her. But silkies, due to their docile nature and crests/beards obscuring their vision, are usually the victim of choice. They are also very likely to incur damage if bumped or pecked to the head. That's where walking backwards, falling over , often head dropped low by feet etc usually comes in.

If she always seems fine away from them - why not raise her as a house chicken (see thread "people with house chickens,") You may want to take her to a vet, if she has swelling on the brain, sometimes they will treat with prednisone. If so, always follow vet advice on dosage, how much, how often, how long.

5. JimSmurfy

JimSmurfy New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    Thank you so much for the advice!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under JimSmurfy [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice, I will just wish you and the little one all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by