I don't know what to do.

Expat_in_Ecuador

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2023
Dearest people of the internet. Almost six months ago, I got my newly hatched chick (who was abandoned by her chicken mommy.) She is our only chicken but she spends enough time with us and the cats (who don't attack her) and the dog that she isn't lonely we think. We did all of the gender checking and they were all positive for her being a lady chicken. She has had a traumatic childhood. She was chicken-napped by an eleven-year-old for a week. Three weeks after we got her back, she got heat stroke which caused paralysis on her right side and tendent damage in that leg from the way she landed. I did bring her to the vet and she is no longer paralyzed, but her foot is stuck in one position. We have tried physical therapy, but it didn't help, and it doesn't bother her anymore so we are leaving it be.

With back story out of the way, here is my concerns. For starters, she doesn't sound like a chicken. She sounds more like an irritated duck or maybe a goose but definitely not like a chicken. She hasn't laid any eggs and she isn't egg bound. What I'm truly worried about is that this morning at dawn she started screaming. Not in a crowing kind of way because if she is a boy then I'm ok with that. It was more in the human screaming bloody murder kind of way.

Can anyone help me find out what's wrong with my chicken? Is it a boy or a girl? Is she possessed? Is she so traumatized that she doesn't know what species she is? I don't know anymore and I'm worried about her well being. I can't take her back to the vet's as I'm in Ecuador. The only vet who can look at a chicken left town.
(Remind Ecuador is a developing country and the majority of the vet's only have training when it comes to dogs, sometimes cats.)

Please help.

What I'm truly worried about is that this morning at dawn she started screaming. Not in a crowing kind of way because if she is a boy then I'm ok with that. It was more in the human screaming bloody murder kind of way.

Can anyone help me find out what's wrong with my chicken?
Some hens get noisy as they get close to laying.. are you able to post a video or sound bite?

UPDATE: here is some pics and a short video with the noises my chicken is making. as a added the vet called her a she when I brought her in a few weeks ago. the long thin feathers around her tail is a new development, but the long thin feathers around her head has been there for a bit

Attachments

• 20230930_175551.jpg
    20230930_175551.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230930_175558.jpg
    20230930_175558.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230930_175556.jpg
    20230930_175556.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230930_175537.jpg
    20230930_175537.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231001_063405.zip
    5 MB · Views: 11
UPDATE: here is some pics and a short video with the noises my chicken is making. as a added the vet called her a she when I brought her in a few weeks ago. the long thin feathers around her tail is a new development, but the long thin feathers around her head has been there for a bit
Wish I saw this thread earlier!
Is your chicken still doing okay?
The foot going inwards happened to my hen when she was young - it’s a vitamin B2 deficiency. Try to find some anti-inflammatories, and her foot will most likely go back to normal. You could even buy some vitamin B2 capsules for humans that are mostly natural, and give to your hen in a small amount

Back
Top Bottom