I dont know whats wrong her****pic***

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yellowchickensmomma, Jun 21, 2011.

1. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Please help me.....My nanny bird is not doing good.

I thought she was hot so I brought her inside and put her in front of the ac vent. She breathing is not labored. She has some dried blood that looked like it came from her nose. I dont see any external injuries. Can anyone help my nanny bird.
    BTW...I hope I did the picture correctly.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Jamie

[​IMG]

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    sorry about your chicken, how old is she? Is it possible she sustained internal injuries from an attack or high fall?

3. yellowchickensmomma

Aug 19, 2009
    She is 2 years old. I dont think she has had any fights or been attacked. Shes very loving and all the other girls get along with her. I dont have a rooster. I let them out the coop and she came out kind of weak looking then fell.

Shes been inside by the ac vent for about 30 minutes and shes sleeping.

4. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Im so sorry your hen is poorly!
    One of my hens had a nose bleed from heavy sneezing. Have you seen any signs of respiratory problems?

5. yellowchickensmomma

Aug 19, 2009
    Not that I saw or heard. The coop is clean.

Its just hot, hot, hot here. They have fresh water.

6. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Poor girl! I'm sorry she's not feeling well.

Was she like this on her way out of the coop, or after they were let out? Is that dried blood that dripped onto her wattle? Maybe she was pecked in the face.

I would try to get some electrolytes in her. Maybe some yogurt as well.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

7. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    A concussion maybe? When people get a concussion sometimes blood comes out of their ear, I don't know about chicken anatomy but she might.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I'm not sure about the blood from the nose, I had a swan die from drinking bleach water and I found him dead with blood from the nose and mouth. It could be from heat or injury... any other animals that might have kicked or hit into her? Listen to her lungs under her wing, any wheezing or rasping? If heat may be the cause, take cold water with some ice in a zip lock bag and place one under each wing, you don't want it freezing, just chilled. You want her temps to come down slowly. What is her temp? do you have a thermometer you could place in her vent to tell you? I also like to take a syringe and mix 1/2 water 1/2 poultry vitamin and drawl up in the syringe and inject just under the skin at the shoulders about 3 cc's to get some type of fluids in them. If they don't drink, putting liquid in their beak could aspirate them, so be careful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by