I dont know whats wrong with my chickenn?!?

happy_feets12

Chirping
Oct 27, 2020
Hi guys,
i will be happy if someone help me with my problem. So i have shabo chicken and she went broody but on day 7-8 she started to act strange. She doesn want to eat or drink. I gave her some dewormer and Oxytetracycline(antibiotics). Yesterday i thought that she is better because she drink a little and eat some baby starter.Today is acting weird again. Here is a picture of her poop.
Thank you for advices

Attachments

• 31C05472-3809-4000-BE51-83700518B384.jpeg
    31C05472-3809-4000-BE51-83700518B384.jpeg
    710.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 809BEAF8-C760-4AB2-9C01-B9B1174C386D.jpeg
    809BEAF8-C760-4AB2-9C01-B9B1174C386D.jpeg
    771.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 957E5439-2EB7-4D4B-9381-2561C7EB2EBB.jpeg
    957E5439-2EB7-4D4B-9381-2561C7EB2EBB.jpeg
    660.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Is she sitting on any eggs? Just trying to clarify if this is normal broody behavior because she's sitting, or a broody hen with no eggs who might be sick.

Is she sitting on any eggs? Just trying to clarify if this is normal broody behavior because she's sitting, or a broody hen with no eggs who might be sick.
She was sitting on eggs for 7-8day and then she was just standing right next to them. Yesterday she was sitting on eggs over night but today she is not.

Here is a picture of her right now. She drink a little water today.

Attachments

• 0BBA1C24-D4B2-4AEC-B50A-13A383BAD53C.jpeg
    0BBA1C24-D4B2-4AEC-B50A-13A383BAD53C.jpeg
    439.3 KB · Views: 7
When you approach her, does she fluff up like in the picture? And growl at you? If so, then that's a full broody hen and she wants to sit a clutch of eggs. Some hens will appear to go broody, then quit, then start again - especially young ones who are still figuring things out.
https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervi...45AFD40B7596EB81FB4445AFD40B7596&&FORM=VRDGAR

A broody hen will spend several days collecting the number of eggs she wants for the nest. She may sit on them for awhile, but mostly she'll be off the nest until she has whatever number she was thinking of. Then she'll hunker down and start incubating. If you place an egg in front of her, she'll roll it underneath her body.

Broodies who are sitting on eggs will only leave the nest once a day, maaaaybe twice, to eat and drink. They will eat very little. It will seem like they're starving themselves. They may not poop every day, but when they do..... prepare yourself for it. It will be a huge stinky mess because she will hold it as long as she can. She's not laying eggs so there's room to stockpile the poop for a few days. The poop in your photos isn't broody poop, but she just may not have figured out what her hormones are doing to her.

I'll bet if you give her some eggs to sit on (laid within the last 4 days), and confine her in a space where the ONLY place to sit down is ON the eggs, she will get the idea and hatch those chicks for you. I have a wooden box open on one end, and I put her in there with bedding and eggs, then put a milk crate on its side in front of that box. I put food and water in the milk crate, then stack a few bricks on top of it so she can't move it away from the box and escape. After 2-3 days, she's fully committed to the nest, OR she's smashed the eggs and convinced you that she wants the heck out of there - either way, you can remove whatever you used to block her in there.

If she's not fluffing up and growling at you when you approach her, then she's likely ill with something. If you think this IS the case, then can you be more specific about her behavior than just "acting strange" or "weird" please?:

How old is she?
Does her breathing sound normal, or is it rattly or wheezing?
Is there any drainage from her nostrils or eyes?
How does her abdomen feel to you?
How does her crop feel?
Is her crop full at night and empty in the morning?
What does her vent look like?
Do you know if she's been laying eggs?
Does she walk normally?
How many other chickens do you have?
Have you brought any new birds into the flock within the last month?
Can you take a video of her behavior? (You'll need to post it to YouTube or similar video site, then paste the link here.)

If you answer most of these questions, I'll tag some of the experts here to help diagnose what's wrong and advise you what to do. But we need more information first, so I don't waste their time. Thanks...

Emm so,(sorry if my english is not good but im from europe and im trying my best)
i dont know how old is she because i receved her as a gift from a friend,because i had a rooster who was alone.
Maybe one or two day ago her breathing sound like she had something stuck in her nostrils, but now i dont hear that anymore.
There is no drainage from her nostrils, but there was some foam in her one eye(not any more)
Her abdomen feels normal, and her crop is empty.(at the morning and at night)
Her vent is "swollen" i dont know how to describe it but is bigger because she lays eggs.
She walks normal,and a have maybe 30 chicken. She was separated from them because she was new.
(first video of her eating a little bit)
(second video)
(third video of her breathing first days)
(this is video of her right now with fake egg)

She does look broody, but her dark comb and sunken eyes look like she may have dehydration or heart failure. When I have broodies, I will offer water and a little food or egg bits from tuna cans and prop it in front of them occasionally.

Is that blood in her dropping in the second picture? The yellow urates could be signs of a reproductive disorder or ascites (water belly.) Is she enlarged in her lower abdomen between her legs?

Back
Top Bottom