i dont know whats wrong with my horse! help!

Pat I made a thread on laminitis and one on colic, do you want to check them over and see if there are any corrections or additions you would recommend?

I gave him the injection the vet sent home with me and he really started improving, he started eating his sweet feed and wasn't laying down or trying to at all. I'll keep checking on him through the night and the vet said he'd come out in the morning if I needed him to, so we'll see! Keep your fingers crossed he gets better!
fl.gif

If ever you suspect colic do not give any feed, unless the vet says its ok, it can make it worse if there's an impaction somewhere, you can give Pepto bismal if you catch it right away, sometimes that will be enough, offer some water but don't let him drink 5 gallons at a time, usually they won't drink but a sip but some horses do. drink alot more, a small amount of walking will not hurt him, but don't keep him walking half the night, 10 minutes of walking 20 minutes calm standing rest. move him if he tries to lay down.
Praying everything is alright, I lost my old man Shadow 22 in Nov. of 09 to colic/twisted, nothing helped and had I been rich I would have opted for the surgery but 5000, is a lot of money to spend on a surgery that there's no guarantee will even work, especially on a horse who was 22 years old. It was awful having to make that decision to put him down, but he was in terrible pain even under a tranq. I still cry over my big boy, and I miss him every day. HUgz to you sending prayers Kim

No sweet feed, ok? Not unless the vet gives you the ok. Many reasons, too complicated to type out tonight with my medicine-head fog, but it goes to the development of laminitis (founder).

No sweet feed, and no pellets. Just plenty of water and hay if he'll eat it...

Good luck.

Hi , I hope this post might help in some way.
My first day and post, but I just had to comment after having horses for nearly 35 years of my 53. There are so many issue's that might be going on with your older horse, knowing your equines behavior is a big help. Did he eat alot of new spring grass when he got out? Did he have access to grain or alfalfa / clover hay? Is he pointing any of his front feet or look like he is wants to lurch forward? Does he want to walk forward with you on the lead? Sometimes they can founder /laminitis all around sometimes though only in the front feet. How do the hoofs feel? Hot to the touch? Is there a throbing pulse in his pastern area? Is he still grouchy/ ear pinned/ etc? Also horses that founder once are prone to do it again.
Maybe the vet might want to tube him with mineral oil? Is this a general big animal vet or a specific equine vet? Banamine is an antihistime. 2 years ago we went to a very interesting meeting at New Bolton, PA on Lamintis / Foundering. The vet that treated Barbaro was there. There are so many causes of colic then foundering and the reverse of that, as well as what kicks off founder in one horse minght not in another. How long are his hoofs now? Does he have any prominent rings in them? or are his heels very low? Alot of times horses that have foundered have a dip in their hoof toward the middle of the hoof almost like a half moon and their hoof always seem to split past a certain growth period. Farriers will clinch the area but it wouldn't stop the crack from going up due to the lack of lamaine or blood filled tissue that supports the coffin bone in the hoof. This is what breaks down during that foundering stages.
I hope I haven't over whelmed you please feel free to email me, I know I saved the paper work because it was so informative plus very very new to the industry and the older way of thinking and curing this wretched disease.
I hope your guy is feeling better. Offer a salt block and plenty of water as well. If his hooves are warmer in front then back will he stand in a baby pool of cool water? They also make these founder boots that circulate cold water now but I would think they are pretty much priced out of most of our budgets. I have used a baby pool with much success. My mare didn't rotate her coffin bone at all, I was quite lucky to notice her acting off right away. This was a good 25+ years ago though alot has changed but some things havent just the price tags.
Good Luck and hugs to your horse,
Liz
PS.... Feed less protein and more fat especially to a senior horse. Try to get some samples from your grain store. I know my daughter whose pony we still have can practically stay fat on air. She is always so careful mix beetpulp NOT Bran with warm water, salt, and maybe a 1/4 cup of senior purina. And now that spring grass is here wait to let him out until the sun burns off the extra sugars in the morning grass. Its too rich right now for straight turnout.

Just my humble opinion... not intended to subsitute for Vet care.

Back
Top Bottom