I don't think my chicks like me.... :(

johnniecourtney

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Sequim, WA
Hey!

Are there things you can do to win your chicks over? They were about 8-9 days old when I got them, and we've had them for 3 days now. The first night they had no problems being held. Now they run and scream! Also, can you give them flavored yogurt, or just plain? I also tried crunched up cheerios, and only one investigated. lol

Thanks!

My chicks do the same thing, I just force my love on them. I'm guessing they go screaming away from my girls though, they would sleep with those boogers if they could! Mine are never friendly until they are older. Can't wait to see about the yogurt - I've been wondering that for a while! Good luck with them!

Congrats on your little babies. I got my chicks when they were 12 days old but did not give them any treats, like plain yogurt, till about 2-3 weeks old. They loved the yogurt when they got it though, and it was just flying everywhere. It was a ton of fun to watch, just stand back unless you want to be splattered!!

The little ones are sooooooooooo cute! But mine kept running from me too. Have fun, post pictures if you can.

Last edited:
My chicks are 4+ weeks old and they still don't care much for treats. They do, now, really like ME. I fed them starter from my hand. I just held still and waited and eventually they ate it. I also picked them up and held them (like it or not ) a couple of times a day. Be patient. Once they figure out the food comes from YOU, you're home free.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

It is very normal for them to be afraid. I give my chicks mash each day. After a couple of days, they they are so excited that they come running when I open their brooder. Mash is just their starter crumbles mixed with water. They absolutely love it!!!

Last edited:
thanks! That does make me feel better.
roll.png
I'm going to try giving them starter from my hands more often, and hopefully they'll figure it out. Here's one pic of my littlest dog, Claire, and the chicks that she thinks are hers!
smile.png

Claireandchicks.jpg

its precious that your dog thinks they're her chicks! and my chicks are silly too... they hop all over my hand when it's lying flat in the brooder with their chick feed on it (nevermind that the SAME food is in their feeder a foot away) yet they run peeping when i try and pick them up. the weirdest thing is that after I pick them up whether they're obliging or not, they fall asleep in my hands because they are warm...

I don't understand it at all. why run if you clearly remember ten seconds later that you LIKE being cuddled?!

Things I learned from socializing my latest chicks (who are now 8 weeks old and the friendliest and most docile chicks I have ever seen, they even like strangers!)

Always sweep your hand underneath them to pick them up since reaching in from above is predator like.

Food bribes from as early as you can. I started mine on grit at 5 days and broccoli buds on day 8. Plain yogurt was not a big hit with mine until I put a drop of red food dye in it, then they were nuts for it. (BTW, flavored yogurt has tons of sugar in it, it can be too much for little systems). One note, I only gave one small treat every day so the chicks don't peck at me all the time expecting a treat. They know one will come, they just don't know when
big_smile.png

Just sitting next to the brooder, where the chicks can see you, talking with someone on the phone or even just reading a book helps because they get to know you as someone who is around but not necessarily after them all the time.

Letting them hop around on the brooder rim or lid while you just talk to them builds their confidence in people as it makes you seem less predatorish.

My tough cases I would bring over to the computer with me. I'd put a couple layers of paper towel on my lap and just let them sit on my arm, over the towels, while I typed away, basically paying little to no attention to the chick sitting with me.

Taking those steps, my chicks love humans and will flock to them to be petted and just to be near. They will let anyone pet them or pick them up, usually with no struggle at all.

The only thing I don't like about the way they have grown up is that they are not at all afraid of my dog or the cats and will actually run up to them (much to my dog's dismay :lol ). I would rather that they were more afraid since they will be free ranging soon and if they decide to run up on some strange dog it could be disastrous.

I do think their breed helped too since they are usually docile chickens, mine are Wyandottes. Although the silver spangled hamburg cockerel is just as docile/friendly and as I understand it that is not common for the breed.

I raised 8 chicks last year and they never became particularly friendly, but I learned a lot browsing BYC for a year and when I raised this batch I did everything to put them at ease right from the first day.

Every time I check on the chicks in the brooder (often),I bring a handful of starter. They come running when they see me. Most of them don't love getting picked up though.

Thanks! Those are all great tips. I've started giving them 'mash' every morning, and am gunna go buy some plain yogurt today! They will jump onto our hands now when we have some food. I've also started saying "chick chick! chick chick!" everytime I come with food, hoping when they're older they'll come when called.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom