I don't think my Roo is very nice!

Azriel

Songster
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Montana
Mr. Roo is very good with people, he is about 18 months old, and never aggressive, but I don't think he is very nice to his girls. He never does the wing dance, just grabs on and does his business without asking. All of my hens are bare backed except 2 that run away any time they see Mr. Roo look their way, and they even have some broken feathers on their backs. He also pecks the girls if they are eating treats so he can get his first. He does make an alarm call if he spots a hawk, but then he runs for cover and doesn't care if the girls get under the covered area or not.
I have hatched out some nice chicks from him, he is a Blk Aust. and his mixed chicks from my Orp and GSL hens have been fast growing with big full meatie breasts.
Im growing out some Lav Orp chicks that I know some are roos, should I think of replacing Mr. Roo with one of the new chicks when old enough, or just deal with him not being good with the girls.

Your asking so here's my answer I guess all roo's have bad habits but yours has to many. He's not a gentleman. He should find food for them & let them eat it. That's his job. He sounds like a coward as well. He should stand up & protect his flock but O no he runs & hides. He's no Fred Astaire as well. Yes, I would send him on his way.

My current rooster just turned a year old, he's a little shakey on the whole mating thing, but has been treating the girls like queens for a while. He gives them the best of the food, ushers them to safety and even prepares their nestboxes for them. He has his favorites, two very friendly and submissive girls but they aren't bald nor do they have broken feathers. I'm positive he would give his life to protect them. Sounds like your boy is a little stuck on himself. Unfortunately at 18 months old, all of those nasty little habits are probably there to stay. If he were mine, I would turn into chicken and dumplings and start looking for a better flock leader. You may be able to rehome him on craigslist since he isn't human aggressive. Good luck!

make a chicken dinner,and get a new roo!! people seem to hold on to a bad roo way too long. you have to roo shop until you find a good one. happy shopping.

If you were one of your hens, you'd probably be like "NEXT ROO IN LINE PLEASE!"

I think keeping another boy is best. Give one of them a chance to be a better roo
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
My roo was rough and rude to my hens. All of them were missing their back feathers. He actually scratched a terrible wound on the back of one of my hens by his incecent mounting. I did not see the infected wound until it was too late and she died. I re-homed him to an egg farmer. My hens are so much happier.

Back
Top Bottom