I don't think my roos know what to do

luvmyturkens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Look out...dumb question coming at you.

I have a California White hen who has been laying for about 2 months. She used to be a free ranger, but after our other hen was hit by a car in November..we decided to put her in the portable pen that my husband built for the roosters until spring when we can build a bigger coop. We have an Americana (at least that's what we were told he was) and a black silkie rooster. I watched closely because I was afraid that they would bother her too much...but they didn't. Now the problem. We would like to try to hatch some eggs in the spring. I have looked at all the pictures of fertile eggs on here and none of her eggs appear to be fertile. In fact, I have only ever seen the silkie chasing her around a few times (and I've never seen him catch her). Is it possible that neither of the roosters is mating with her? They are together 24/7 and it's only the 3 of them in the pen. There pen is plenty big enough for the 3 of them. We have a ramp that opens so that they can be down in the grass during the day.

It just seem strange to me. When we had our turken hen...I could see that hers were fertilized...but no sign with these.

Well, not sure how old your roosters are, but my Easter Egger roos took a little longer to mature than the other roos I've had around - of course, that could have just been whatever the mix was in them.

Then again - maybe the hen is just one tough little bird and has taught them to stay away - or else
lau.gif

meri

I would be willing to bet that there is mating activity going on, you just aren't seeing it. And---if the roosters aren't currently mating with your hen, they likely will start when spring comes. At this time of year, the days are very short, and their hormones aren't telling them that it's mating time now.

Back
Top Bottom