I dont think they are chickens. I'm pretty sure they are PIGS!!!

mlmadura

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
ms
So just how much are 17 week old chicks supposed to eat???
I am talking 7 hens.

Mine eat everything in site - feed - treats - bugs.... DH called me at work last weekend to ask where i put the new 40 lb bag of feed ( I just swapped them to eggmaker from chick starter cause we have no in between here) - when I asked why- he said the chicks were out of food -

I had just filled up their feeder with 5 POUNDS of food the day before and it was EMPTY!!!

They are KILLING me LOL!!!! Little piggies - So I now I'm just feeding them daily - but I ned to know how much the spoiled darlings actually need (all treats aside lol!)

They do actually need free choice feed. Some folks don't put it in their coops, since they're only sleeping in there. I do, simply to give them another choice, but I'm not sure it's necessary. Yep, they sure can be piggies!

yup...mine are piggy's!!...i have 22 plus 2 ducks...and we go through about a 50# bag a week!!..
ep.gif

Our girls would go through a 50 lb bag of Layena in 3 months when free ranging. Now they are refusing to go out of the hen house due to hawks, they do not seem to be eating much more, although I fill the feeder up 1 time a week and they never run out.
I also suppliment their diet with a lot of fresh veggies, fruits, yogurt and oatmeal as well. Every scrap helps give them vites (we do not eat processed meats or meals) so they can have all our left overs.

The one I really question where she can pack the food away is my 3 month old bantam cochin. She should be a butter ball by winter! lol.

Mine eat a lot too. My daughter is always commenting on how "they sure look like they have never missed a meal!"
roll.png
smile.png

My piggies,( I mean chooks) LOOOVE their yogurt, my DH couldn't believe how quick they gobble down so much, 13 chooks only, they don't eat a whole lot of feed, I keep their feed in our basement, so I fill up a brown lunchbag and take it to their feeder bout every three days, they usually have around 1-2 cups left over in feeder when I fill it, they eat alot of bugs though.
pop.gif

wow- mine eat like horses! I have no clue how many chickens I am feeding currently,but in 2 weeks they have eaten 350 pounds of feed!!!!
roll.png
they are free ranging this week!

* Chook polishs off 4 tablespoons of Layena crumbles + 2 tablespoons of scratch/mixed grains + 1 tablespoon of grit and o.s. all by her lonesome as standard fare A DAY-- and that's the summer menu. . . .

Back
Top Bottom