I don't think they're gonna hatch.. *Update: IT'S A PIP!!*

Badhbh

Songster
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
Quick rundown... about a week and a half into sitting, what was left of Ike hit Indiana. We lost power, and i had to send the eggs home with my exhusband. He knows nothing about incubating. They got down to 86* before we got them plugged back in.
Checked a couple days later and they were at 101* and I had one stinker. I got power back on (finally) Friday night, and got the bator back from him last night. I candled, and most of the Polish eggs were dead. The Ameraucanas, I couldn't tell, but the eggs were dark and there was an air cell at the top. The Marans eggs i couldn't see a thing. I think I saw some veining, but that's about it. I didn't see anything moving either.
A couple of the eggs had clearish places at the bottom of the eggs as well as the top- not air cells, but transluscent areas. I'm thinking those are duds. I'm trying to get the temp back up this morning, because for some reason it was at 93*! I don't know if he turned it down too far or what, but i'm trying to slowly crank it back up without overdoing it.
Today is day 19, and they're sitting up in the egg carton waiting.
Any opinions?

Last edited:
Wow...really don't know what to say. I hope everything goes well
smile.png
fl.gif

I've lost power for hours acouple times and still had a good hatch...don't give up ...you have let them come this far, good luck!!

I think , if it were me, I would try to get the temp back up and give them a few more days, especially with the temp going down like it did, they may actually take another day or two beyond 21 to hatch.

Dont give up yet, hopefully you will get at least something out of the hatch?
I have Polish eggs in the hatcher right now. I know this does you no good at this time, but once mine are grown out and laying some eggs, you are welcome to some? No charge. If MINE even hatch!
hmm.png

Keep us updated, I am sure I am not the only curious one and good luck!
smile.png

Forgot to add.. the duds of the bunch, I opened tp see what was what. Three of them don't look like they got past a week. The fourth though had a tiny, perfectly formed chick in it. It was less than an inch from top to bottom. I think that may have died sometime in week 2?

I got an email from The Man this morning that said he *thought* he saw a crack in one of the Ameraucana eggs.
fl.gif

I do believe in pips! I do believe in pips! I do I do I do!

Back
Top Bottom