I don't understand....

CayceV

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 16, 2008
British Columbia
My order arrived from Murray McMurray yesterday. All of them (except for one) were quite lively and happy, they were eating and drinking well... The one that wasn't looking so good died. Now there's been 7 others that have died and they ALL look like they're dying. Did I do something wrong? They have food, water, the temperature in their brooder is 95 degrees, the temperature in the room is 70 degrees, they can't access the wire on their cage (it's covered by wood)... What happened??? Now what do I do?
hit.gif

Last edited:
Sorry for your losses.

What kind of litter do you have them on?

Generally accepted is pine with paper towels on top for the first few days to make sure they know what food is and don't gobble up too many shavings.

If you have cedar or any aromatic wood in there, it has to go and has to go quick as that can be deadly to small animals.

If that is not the problem, you can call up the hatchery and see what they have to say. Generally if it is within 3 days of hatching, they replace them.

How long have you had them for? Usually when you've had them for a certain amount of time the hatchery will say that they're not responsible for your losses. Have you contacted the hatchery though?
I'm sorry, but things like that happen.

Oh no...1 of the phoenix died and 7 others...and now, the rest?
Sorry to hear that.

But I have to admit: I saw the pictures yesturday and there were a few who didn't LOOK too good. They had their eyes closed and had the "I'm not feeling too well" kinda look.

I think its the stress from shipping and it is still pretty early in the season, so yeah. have you called McMurray?

They have papertowel down right now, no sawdust or anything.
I only got them yesterday.
Sorry I counted wrong, we've lost 2 Phoenix, 1 buff cochin, 3 others, and there is definitely one other that looks like it's not going to pull through. I was in there a minute ago and the others were sleepy looking but perked up and started zooming around when I opened the door to their brooder.

I emailed McMurray and am going to call them shortly to see what they say.

Hello CayceV,

I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry for the lose of your chicks. Everytime I order chicks I panic when they arrive. Before opening the lid I alway say a little silent prayer that the little fuzz butts are ok.

I haven't seen any pictures of your brooder. But what I learn that it is very important that it has the correct temp for the babies. But more important is to make sure that your brooder is large enough that if the chicks get over heated they can get out from under the heat lamp. When I ordered my first chicks about 7 year ago I had found a website showing how the chicks are suppose to act to the heat lamp.
I did a quick search of the web today but I can't find it. If I do I will post the URL here for everyone to see.

The other thing that I learned was...when the chicks arrive they are stressed from being shipped. I know it's hard but try not to handle then very much other then giving them water(dipping their little beaks in the water). Also what I do is pour some of the food onto the paper towels and tap my finger on the food and I say "Chick Chick Chick" and then they will start eating. Then I leave then the alone for about 15 minutes or so and then I go back in and dip them in water again and do the tapping of the food. They need to rest from ther long journey. I hope this helps you out and if you have any questions please ask, If I can answer them I sure will. Good luck with your next batch of babies.

Take care, Mary Ann - AKA :¦:-•*LOVE_COCHINS*•-:¦:

How long ago did you buy your feed..could be a bad batch? I would start there and go through a process of elimination to make sure you covered everything.

Feed - is it fresh (if feed is stored too long, it can grow mold and hatch bugs)

Bedding - sounds good

Water - fresh and cool daily

Vent blockage - check rear ends to make sure they can pass feces

Temp in brooder - verify it's not too hot or too cool - they should be running around - if huddled under light..too cold - if trying to get away from the light..too warm.

Vaccinations? Were your babies vaccinated. If not, do you have other chickens (grown ones) that you could have contaminated the babies with something they haven't built immunity to yet.

Once you're sure everything is ok, I would contact the hatchery and let them know what is happening. They may have other advice.

I am so sorry for your losses and hope we can help you figure this out.

Jody

Thanks for the advice... The brooder is set up so that the heat source is at one end and they have access to a cooler spot, away from the light; they can choose where they want to be.

I have not handled them much at all. I moved them from the box to the brooder and that's about it. They have figured out how to use the feeder and the waterer on their own. They were all quite happily eating and drinking yesterday. I've seen a bit of activity in that area this morning with the ones that are left.

The food is fresh - just bought it yesterday. Water is fresh. Vent's are fine. I have a thermometer in the brooder and have been keeping an eye on it. Yes, they were all vaccinated. I do have other chickens but they are no where near the chicks and I have not handled my hens at all since the babies arrived (I checked the hens food and water last night but didn't actually touch them).

I guess that's about it. I don't think it's anything I've done since it started before they even got here - started with that one little Phoenix. I am a first time chick owner (I've had hens before but never babies) so I did a lot of reading before I got these little guys to try to make sure everything was perfect for them. I'm so sad we've lost some. The others seem okay right now but they are doing a lot of sleeping. Is that normal?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom