I don't want an old horse . . .

I got my first riding horse when I was in 6th grade. We had started with a weanling (so we could grow up together, right
roll.png
) and by the time he was 2 he was pretty spoiled and had behavioral issues. My mom found a woman who would swap for an older, experienced horse. She claimed not to know how old he was, but a horse trader friend of ours looked at his teeth, laughed and shook his head and said "Just call him Methuselah, that's close enough". Later, from talking to other folks who had owned him, he was between 20 and 25 when I got him. He was the absolute best horse for me. I wasn't a rank beginner, but he taught me so, so much, and more importantly kept me safe. He was one of the sanest horses I've owned, but still had get up and go for us to compete in local gymkhana and do well enough it was fun. I think I had him about 4 years before I decided to move on to a younger horse, and at that time I was okay with letting him go. He went to an even younger girl and was the delight of her life.

I'm just saying, don't discount an animal just because it's older. Horses today are living much longer than they did 50 years ago, and remaining quite active. Don't get set on your first horse being a forever horse, also. If you're young, you have a lot of life changes ahead of you---college, getting your own place, marriage, babies. Horses don't always fit in with those, so be flexible in your thinking about the future.

I got my first riding horse when I was in 6th grade. We had started with a weanling (so we could grow up together, right
roll.png
) and by the time he was 2 he was pretty spoiled and had behavioral issues. My mom found a woman who would swap for an older, experienced horse. She claimed not to know how old he was, but a horse trader friend of ours looked at his teeth, laughed and shook his head and said "Just call him Methuselah, that's close enough". Later, from talking to other folks who had owned him, he was between 20 and 25 when I got him. He was the absolute best horse for me. I wasn't a rank beginner, but he taught me so, so much, and more importantly kept me safe. He was one of the sanest horses I've owned, but still had get up and go for us to compete in local gymkhana and do well enough it was fun. I think I had him about 4 years before I decided to move on to a younger horse, and at that time I was okay with letting him go. He went to an even younger girl and was the delight of her life.

I'm just saying, don't discount an animal just because it's older. Horses today are living much longer than they did 50 years ago, and remaining quite active. Don't get set on your first horse being a forever horse, also. If you're young, you have a lot of life changes ahead of you---college, getting your own place, marriage, babies. Horses don't always fit in with those, so be flexible in your thinking about the future.
That's nice! My mom said we have to get an old, gentle, slow horse so that we can learn how to take care of horses since we have never owned one before. She then said, after that horse passes on, or we decide to "move up a notch" we can get a younger one. I think, after all the research I've done and all the things I've heard, I guess having an old horse isn't the worst deal ever. :) Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom