I don't want Roosters

jcasey829

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
I know I'm being irresponsible with my chickens, and I love them all. Ironically my New Hampshire Red Roo is my favorite lol. I bought 8 "pullets" and ended up with atleast 3 roos.
sad.png
I don't know how to sex silkies, but I got one of those from a SR of Bantams so I need to learn how to sex HER lol. Anyway, I was planning on having layers for eating the eggs, not breeding. So my question is um, what should I do with my roos? Can you keep roos together? Should I just separate them from my layers? Should I give them away? (I really love my one roo, but I don't think I want roosters around) I know I suck for getting into this without doing the proper homework, I really thought I did buying pullets and all, but I guess I didn't.
sad.png
TIA for your help and please don't be upset with me about my bad chicken mistakes.

Id say put them on Craigslist. That's what I do with roos. You could keep the one you like, but if you keep too many for how many hens you have, they will fight.

I bought 12 straight-run RIR's at Easter time and 8, yes 8 of them ended up being roosters! I am like you and bought the chickens for layers. I didn't want any of the roos. I got rid of them here on BYC last week. I have a local BYC lady who came and got one, then someone else drove to get the others. I told her she could have the other 7, BUT couldn't part with all of them! I had to keep one!
lol.png

If you're certain that they are roos, try posting them in here on BYC to see if anyone would like to have them. I didn't have to much luck trying to sell them, but had lots of interest when I posted them for free! Good luck!
smile.png

It's fine to keep them with your poullets/hens, even if you never allow the eggs to hatch. Just collect the eggs daily. Your Silkies will go broody anyway, as will other bantams, roos or not. This is what I do, but mine are not caged up much. When they are, the lower roos have a hard time of it....staying on the roost all day.

It's OK to keep the guys all together. They should be fine.

I have brought some roos- (that we really liked, sniff, sniff,) downtown in a cage and opened the back of the van. We sold them for for a few dollars, just to make sure that someone would value them at least that much. They are worth lot's more to chicken breeders, but I don't know where those folks are around here. I've also advertised them in the paper and had some luck with that, but also lots of phone calls with someone who never made the final pickup.

It is a problem. Even though I did not plan on having roos, they are attractive and often fun to watch. Except the few flogging ones we've had. (A Sebrite and 3 Mille Fluers). I like them, except for the crowing.

One guy I know took in two unwanted roos as pets, and he didn't even have chickens. So there are people out there that might take them. (But, he didn't bother making a coop, so they didn't last long.)

I am also new at this and now I am worried! I purchased pullets from the feed store so I could have eggs now I am worried some will not be pullets, some might be roos what are the chances?
tongue.png
lol.png

i purchased 9 RIR's straight run and 4 eneded up being roo's .....glad the wife went back and got 3 more EE pullets.

Quote:
They're usually pretty good at sexing them, but every once in a while a roo sneaks in. We've never had any problem with anyone taking extra roos. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom